Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Neutral wires in panel

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    Originally posted by growler View Post
    The problem here is that a home inspector does not have to site a code violation since a home inspection is not a code inspection. I agree. Some usefulness from electrical perspective is they may find some things that are just deterioration of things rather than possible code violations. Open panel and find melted conductor insulation on incoming line - not really a code to cite, just mention that something is likely failing there and it needs some attention.


    Home inspectors write up anything that they may consider a matter of concern for the future homeowner.

    Take the example given by rjniles, two conductors under one breaker. You could try to argue that it's allowed by the manufacturer or you could just pigtail a single conductor and and you know that is the end of it.

    I have no interest at all in trying to train home inspectors on code (most of the time I will not even meet the home inspector). I charge a minimum of two hours to deal with the small BS items listed on a home inspection report and most of the time that's enough time if I don't waste time trying to argue.

    Over the last 20 years I have dealt with a few hundred home inspection reports and I have learned the fastest and easiest way to deal with them.
    Thing I run into is there isn't any "home inspectors" out here where I live. Realtors sometimes call me asking for an electrical inspection on a home they are involved with. My guess most the time is potential buyer has concerns, and they want to call in an expert, this puts more liability on me and I hate doing it, and usually tell them I don't have the time to do it even if things are pretty slow. They probably only want some things to use for price negotiating and may not even intend to fix much if anything that I do comment about. But at same time I don't want to not be thorough and miss even a small thing that might come back to haunt me. So they think I am going to come over and within short time tell them everything is OK or point out a few obvious things that they already figured out need attention and charge maybe $100 and move on.

    I don't want to do that. A HI can get away with that easier, he is an expert at nothing but I am an expert at electrical - I miss something and someone is injured or killed because of something that was existing when I was there I will be blamed if I didn't mention it. I need at least a couple hours to inspect and at least another hour or two to write up my findings, part of which will also state that since a lot of wiring is concealed I can not accurately tell what condition it is in without destructive measures being taken to investigate.

    Buying a used house is like buying a used car - you can't expect everything to be in perfect condition and certainly can't expect everything to comply with standards that are being met in a new house. There are practices that maybe were common at different times even though they were not complaint with codes at the time. It happens. All you can do with those is mention this fact and it is up to those reading the report to decide how they want to proceed with that information.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

    Comment


      #32
      Originally posted by kwired View Post
      So they think I am going to come over and within short time tell them everything is OK or point out a few obvious things that they already figured out need attention and charge maybe $100 and move on.
      I wouldn't even think of doing a home electrical inspection for a $100. Doing a proper home electrical inspection often requires a crawl through an attic and a crawl space. Those are two things I'm not real crazy about. But that's were you find a lot of problems.

      But I don't solicit work inspecting homes because it would be considered a conflict of interest if I were to also do the repairs and I would rather repair items listed by others.
      The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

      Comment

      Working...
      X