Light Fixture as Splice Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trey4U

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have an exterior light fixture with a photo cell that's meant to be mounted directly on a wall.(no mounting box) Can I take an unswitched hot to the light, connect the light and add another wire to the connection and go back inside to feed an exit light that needs an unswitched hot? If the exit light is mounted directly on the wall (no mounting box) could I make the splice in the exit light and go out to the exterior light? I guess I'm asking if i can make a splice in a light fixture so I can take a hot to another light.

growler

As long as the box has the volume available for the additional conductors, yes.

I always thought so to but after reading article 410.56 (D) I'm not so sure.

(D) Splices and taps. No unnecessary splices or taps shall be made within or on a luminaire.

Who get's to decide if it's necessary?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

(D) Splices and taps. No unnecessary splices or taps shall be made within or on a luminaire.

We do. :p

I can see it meaning don't use the fixture to house unrelated splices like with a circuit passing through, but to me, the above descriptions include the fixture wiring.

I would equate it to line in and out like you would with several of the same fixture in a string. In fact, that is what he's describing, just with two different fixtures.

480sparky

It's so ambiguous it basically 'violates' the NEC Style Manual.

3.2 Word Choices.
3.2.1 Unenforceable Terms. The NEC shall not contain references or requirements that are unenforceable or vague. The terms contained in Table 3.2.1 shall be reviewed in context, and, if the resulting requirement is unenforceable or vague, the term shall not be used.

growler

We do. :p

I can see it meaning don't use the fixture to house unrelated splices like with a circuit passing through, but to me, the above descriptions include the fixture wiring.

I would equate it to line in and out like you would with several of the same fixture in a string. In fact, that is what he's describing, just with two different fixtures.

Unrelated is just as easy to spell as unnecessary so why did the CMP choose that wording.

In my opinion "unnecessary" is a very ambiguous term to use.

growler

It's so ambiguous it basically 'violates' the NEC Style Manual.

Good find 480 sparky. Most people wouldn't think so but they do have electrical inspections in Afghanistan. They let the companies that are going to maintain the building do the inspections and you may need to back up anything that can be seen as a code violation.
Typical military thinking and they love to see things redone if you can't support you position that your are in the right.

Trey4U

Occupation
Good find 480 sparky. Most people wouldn't think so but they do have electrical inspections in Afghanistan. They let the companies that are going to maintain the building do the inspections and you may need to back up anything that can be seen as a code violation.
Typical military thinking and they love to see things redone if you can't support you position that your are in the right.

How did you know or remember that I'm in Afghanistan? :eek:hmy:

My problem is a metal container that has been outfitted with toilets, sinks and showers. Since I'm gutting it and putting in all new stuff they say it's a "new" latrine and everything has to be PVC in a new latrine. With the way I have things laid out I can't splice in 3/4" T condulets so making a splice in one fixture that feeds the other fixture solves a problem for me. Normally the splice would be in an octagon or square box behind the exit light but I don't have a PVC box to mount the exit light on. It's going straight on the wall as is the outside light. There IS plenty of room in the outside light for the extra #12 to go in the wire nut that connects the outside fixture.

growler

How did you know or remember that I'm in Afghanistan? :eek:hmy:

Normally the splice would be in an octagon or square box behind the exit light but I don't have a PVC box to mount the exit light on.

Well, your location is shown as Afghanistan. The fact that you are not using a junction box can mean that certain materials are in short supply.

I did some work at FOB Shindand and Camp Stone a few years back and I couldn't believe how hard it could be to come up with some small items that we can buy at any big box supply or even a hardware store.

Trey4U

Occupation
Well, your location is shown as Afghanistan. The fact that you are not using a junction box can mean that certain materials are in short supply.

I did some work at FOB Shindand and Camp Stone a few years back and I couldn't believe how hard it could be to come up with some small items that we can buy at any big box supply or even a hardware store.

Oh pfffft, I forgot I had my location on here.

Yeah, they want me to use PVC conduit in two latrines because they're metal containers that have been renovated to be latrines. Can't get PVC boxes so they say I can use aluminum condulets and aluminum bell boxes for switches and receptacles. That's why I'm mounting an exit light right to the container wall and not using a box. Just wanted to make sure I can splice in the exit light and take a hot out to the outside light.

Yeah, I've been at FOB Khogyani (near Jalalabad), Bagram, NKC (New Kabul Compound) and now at Camp Dwyer. And yes, I've had my wife go to HD and send me a few things I needed. :eek:hmy:

Status
Not open for further replies.