How do I make this watertight transition from a 4" PVC duct in limited space?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Installer

Some twenty years ago someone actually ran an electrical line in liquid tite through a Communications Box.
I want to take the electrical line out of the Communications Box and run it into brand new switch, TVSS and panel on the other side of this Stand.

To do so , I have to cut the 4" PVC duct containing the electrical line as shown in the third picture.
The problem is how do I make the transition after that? I only have 17" of clearance

• I thought of using a 4"x 2" reducer and then a 2" to 1" reducer and then placing a 1" liquid tiite adapter on top of that and running the line to the new electrical
.system on the other side (Switch, TVSS and Panel)
  • Another idea is to mount a 6" x 6" x 1' Hoffman Trough on the cut 4" PVC and then placing a Myers hub on top. But how do I make the transition
from the 4" PVC duct to the 6" x 6" Hoffman Trough?

I'm really stumped on dealing with the 4" PVC

B3.jpg B1.jpg B2.jpg

Thank you in advance
Respectfully
Installer

growler

The problem is how do I make the transition after that? I only have 17" of clearance.

17" isn't much room when dealing with 4" PVC.

Can't you dig around the conduit and get a little more working room? I guess then reduce down to 2" ( if that big enough for the electrical) and use a 2" LB (vertical) and that will make your turn, short nipple and another 2'' LB to turn vertical again.

This should work if you have a choice of mounting height for the panel you are going to mount.

Installer

17" isn't much room when dealing with 4" PVC.

Can't you dig around the conduit and get a little more working room? I guess then reduce down to 2" ( if that big enough for the electrical) and use a 2" LB (vertical) and that will make your turn, short nipple and another 2'' LB to turn vertical again.

This should work if you have a choice of mounting height for the panel you are going to mount.

I think we're going to have to add 2 ' more length to the conductors. I'm not sure of an LB Leg qualifies as a Splice Box. Can I do this?

Installer

You were right..

You were right..

National Electrical Code 2014
ARTICLE 314 Outlet, Device, Pull, and Junction Boxes; Conduit Bodies; Fittings; and Handhole Enclosures
II. Installation
314.16 Number of Conductors in Outlet, Device, and Junction Boxes, and Conduit Bodies. Boxes and conduit bodies shall be of an approved size to provide free space for all enclosed conductors. In no case shall the volume of the box, as calculated in 314.16(A), be less than the fill calculation as calculated in 314.16(B). The minimum volume for conduit bodies shall be as calculated in 314.16(C).

(C) Conduit Bodies.

(1) General. Conduit bodies enclosing 6 AWG conductors or smaller, other than short-radius conduit bodies as described in 314.16(C)(2), shall have a cross-sectional area not less than twice the cross-sectional area of the largest conduit or tubing to which they can be attached. The maximum number of conductors permitted shall be the maximum number permitted by Table 1 of Chapter 9 for the conduit or tubing to which it is attached.

(2) With Splices, Taps, or Devices. Only those conduit bodies that are durably and legibly marked by the manufacturer with their volume shall be permitted to contain splices, taps, or devices. The maximum number of conductors shall be calculated in a

growler

I think we're going to have to add 2 ' more length to the conductors. I'm not sure of an LB Leg qualifies as a Splice Box. Can I do this?

I don't think you mentioned extending conductors before. I wouldn't try that in an LB.

Back to the drawing board.

What gets mounted first on the other side of that communication box. If it's that disconnect (switch) then the 2" nipple or reduced 1" could come into the back of it if the connector is below all of the electrical parts. You could splice inside that.

Status
Not open for further replies.