Standard 4 square steel junction box

Status
Not open for further replies.

stonecutter

Can I use a standard 4 square steel junction box in, for example, an open air parking structure, or even mounted outside on the brick wall of a dwelling. The boxes will be under cover of soffit and structure, but they will still be outside. UL codes QCKW and QCIT are descriptive, but leave me wondering if this is acceptable.
Thank you in advance.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I would argue that the ceiling of an open air parking garage is a dry location once you're past say two feet from the outside edge. I've never seen rain go totally horizontal, even in a hurricane. Now if you mount it over an expansion area where water can leak down into it, that might be a different story.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
You're in FL. Here in NY I've seen the underside of concrete parking structure floors dripping from condensation when the weather conditions are right.

I have no idea what kind of parking structure the OP is talking about though. Seems he is talking residential.

-Hal

Hal, If you are mounting those Bell weatherproof boxes to the exterior of a wall, bringing non metallic cable to the box from the inside of the dwelling without conduit, how do you secure the cable to the box? The screw in clamps are for dry locations only, the push ins don’t fit. I contacted the manufacturer to ask that question. They told me that there is no NEC requirement to secure the cable to the box (I’m not kidding.)
I also know that boxes installed that way can connect to the inside circuits with Romex Nm, but that seems iffy recognizing that it is at least a damp location.

You're in FL. Here in NY I've seen the underside of concrete parking structure floors dripping from condensation when the weather conditions are right.

I have no idea what kind of parking structure the OP is talking about though. Seems he is talking residential.

-Hal

I'm not sure that makes it a damp location though. Bathrooms and basements are often dripping with condensation and it's all nema 1 stuff there.

mtfallsmikey1

Occupation
Chief Engineer
I would argue that the ceiling of an open air parking garage is a dry location once you're past say two feet from the outside edge. I've never seen rain go totally horizontal, even in a hurricane. Now if you mount it over an expansion area where water can leak down into it, that might be a different story.

There are standard steel boxes used with EMTon the ground and underground levels of our 2 parking garages for lighting.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Hal, If you are mounting those Bell weatherproof boxes to the exterior of a wall, bringing non metallic cable to the box from the inside of the dwelling without conduit, how do you secure the cable to the box? The screw in clamps are for dry locations only, the push ins don’t fit. I contacted the manufacturer to ask that question. They told me that there is no NEC requirement to secure the cable to the box (I’m not kidding.)
I also know that boxes installed that way can connect to the inside circuits with Romex Nm, but that seems iffy recognizing that it is at least a damp location.

There are wp connectors made for UF cable. NM is not allowed in the exterior. If the nm is coming in thru the back then we use a standard nm connector and use silicon around the top and side of the box,

Status
Not open for further replies.