Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: Have you guys seen this...interesting

A quote from the article:
It illustrates graphically that power lines do indeed have these electrical fields around them.
Do these people really have the nerve to be surprised that power lines have electric fields around them? The digital watches they wear on their wrists also have electric fields around them, and so do the ?torches? (or ?flashlights,? as we would say in the US) that the article recommends that the observers bring with them. The open question is not whether fields exist, but whether fields are potentially harmful.

jimwalker

I heard many years ago about a guy that took a steel drum and wrapped many turns of wire around it.He created a transformer by placing it under the high tension lines.Very dangerous but it worked.Yes the field is there.How dangerous i am not sure.Long term or short ?
Most electricians have gotten shocked,that is current going thru them.It happened to me a few times and i am am am ok

[ February 26, 2004, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: jimwalker ]

karl riley

I checked the "Magnetic fields" link. Interesting idea from a far-out art point of view. Probably a very impressive display for anyone who checks it out.

Of course, the tubes do not light up from magnetic fields, but from the electric field from the HV lines. I see no harm in this. It is actually educational.

Are these HV fields health risks? Possibly, for utility men who had a lot of exposure over, say, 20 years or more. A large study conducted among Canadian utility workers several years ago did show a statistically significant connection between some cancers and long term exposure to both magnetic fields and electric fields, with the electric fields having the most weight.

After the study was published the utility or utilities clamped down and refused to let scientists access to the data for further study. (This is not rumored paranoia, but reported in scientific journals, since the scientists were frustrated not to have access to a huge amount of data).

As with all these studies, the increase in cancer was small, even though higher than could be explained by chance. So if I were a lineman I would not be worried, though if my family had a history of frequent cancer I might do some research. But I also would not want my utility to hide any data on this that they had collected.

Karl

stanley

I am forever amazed. The same people who beat the drum how dangerous the EMF from high voltage lines are the same people who put high power magnets on elbows, knees, etc. to alieviate arthritus or some other joint ailment.

bennie

Esteemed Member

There is a report about patients suffering from depression, show significant improvement after having a MRI skan.

rich000

Has anyone heard of anyone trying to harness this "excess" energy?

i.e. Someone who lives close to the power lines rigging up some kind of transformer (not a direct connection).

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Interesting thought. But before anyone starts looking for funding to set up an experimental prototype, let me assure you that it would not be worth the effort. I offer four reasons.
</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">(1) The ?primary? would be a single wire (the transmission line), not a number of wires wrapped around a core. So the magnetic field (as inflicted upon the secondary) would not be multiplied by the number of turns in the primary.

(2) The magnetic coupling between the primary (i.e., the utility line) and the secondary (i.e., the device you build to harness the excess energy) would have to pass through air. That is not a good conductor of magnetic fields.

(3) The primary?s magnetic field would drop off rapidly as you get farther from the wires. Since you have to have the device on your own property, and not on the utility?s right-of-way, it would be too far to pick up a strong enough field to create any appreciable current in the secondary.

(4) At that distance from the lines, the secondary would see the combined magnetic fields of the three primary phase conductors. Those fields would tend to cancel each other out.</font>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

dereckbc

Staff member

Charlie, I strongly disagree. You could make yourself one heck of a battery charger for a single flashlight battery :D

hurk27

Wasn't there a guy about 25 years ago that claimed to have invented a way to make perpetual motion and was using it to power his House somewhere in Wisconsin, only to find out later that he was getting flux from the power lines into his coils? The contraption looked like three garbage cans around a center core.

Status
Not open for further replies.