single phase to three phase converters

Status
Not open for further replies.

HEY GANG , ANYBODY HAS A GOOD IDEA ON SINGLE TO THREE PHASE CONVERTERTS ? I HAVE A 5 HP 3 PHASE 208 VOLT MOTOR, I THINK I CAN USE A STATIC CONVERTER BECAUSE THE HP IS LOW, THE ROTORARY CONVERTER SEEMS TO HAVE A LOT OF EXTRA'S TO MAKE IT WORK.
IDEA'S I AM OPEN.....THANKS

hurk27

Re: single phase to three phase converters

By Ryan: Why not use a single phase motor?
There are time's when this is imposable when the motor is part of the housing of the equipment. I had a Hobart commercial dough mixer that was 3-phase and the cast housing was part of the mixer and motor. I had to use a phase converter. and it was only a 3hp motor.

G

Re: single phase to three phase converters

The static converter is only a start circuit that once the motor starts, disengages and lets the motor run on single phase power. The disadvantage of this method is that the motor winding currents will be very unbalanced and the motor will not be able to run above about two-thirds its rated horsepower. This is the poor mans phase converter.

The rotary converter provides current in all 3 phases, and although not perfect, will allow a motor to provide all or nearly all its rated horsepower. The rotary part of the rotary phase converter is a standard 3 phase electric motor. Since applying single phase power to a 3 phase motor will not start it rotating, a means to start the idler motor turning near rated speed is necessary. That's what the extra junk is for. You can also get or make a self-starting idler motor, but there will be more imbalance. For many shops the small amount of unbalance is acceptable and most commercial rotary phase converters therefore are the self starting type.

If you can get away with cheap, go static. If you can afford it, and need the nearly full rated horsepower go rotary. If you can take a small amount of imbalance go with a self starting rotary converter.

Is this for a customer?
rtg254a.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.