George Foreman grill

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan_618

I got a George Foreman grill for Christmas.

The first time I used it, I realized that there is no means of disconnect on the appliance. Reading the instructions, it states that when your food is done to your liking...pull the plug!

I am not too keen on pulling plugs on appliances that are under load, and I wouldn't think the the listing agencies would be either. Any thoughts on this?

tonyi

Re: George Foreman grill

I got desperate one day when my nice dual-head GFCI tripod worklight was elsewhere and wound up buying a $9 halogen at HD. Had no switch on it.

Made in the (P)retty (R)ank (C)rap right?

iwire

Staff member

From the receptacle section of the UL white book.
Devices marked ??Not for current interruption?? are not intended to be disconnected while under load. They are to be installed in series with switches or other appropriate disconnecting means.
This leads me to believe that all the devices we normally use are rated to make and break under load.

[ January 16, 2004, 04:35 PM: Message edited by: iwire ]

ryan_618

Thanks Bob. So I'm what I'm reading tells me that it is dependant upon the receptacle outlet and not the appliance?

I don't recall any disclaimers on the instructions warning that if your house was built prior to 19xx that this may be dangerous. I wonder how long receptacles have been rated for this.

pierre

The George Foreman Grill has sold over 30 million units. Just guessing, but I see a UL label on it, so I am thinking this is fine for its application. It does make me nervous unplugging it when it is on. I will say it works quite well in a pinch and is easy to clean.
Cord and plug is permitted for disconnecting means.

Pierre

templdl

I've also got an air popcorn popper that is relatively new that does not have an on/off switch. I thought that that was strange but it was approved. :roll:

iwire

Staff member

Guys are you generally putting the plug in and out in hazardous atmospheres?

I have never thought twice about plugging things in with a load.

As Pierre points out they are rated for use as a disconnect switch (unless marked ??Not for current interruption??) so the NEC and UL seem to agree it is OK.

Other than plugging in utilization equipment with a short circuit has anyone had a bad experience plugging something in with a load?

ccha9219

Rayn... I installed a 16' long three phase hood system in a nursing home kitchen...
It came with a pre wired control box with a UL sticker from the factory without any grounds in the lights or outlets... It passed the final because it is a listed assembly.
Uncle Larry can do what he wants as long as he puts a sticker on it.

wildman

use grill on a gfci protected receptacle.....if one is not available, install one.....follow these steps...1.push test button..2.plug grill into receptacle..3.push reset button...4.cook some food..5.push test button..6. unplug grill...
7.push reset button..
the gfci is supposed to be tested at least once a month anyhow... wife has a sandwich maker that we use in this manner...makes great grilled cheese sandwiches....been using it for years...
go ahead....push that test button and see if that old gfci still works....if not, time to replace it!

ryan_618

Wildman: I like your idea, and reading it brought a bit of chuckle to me...the problem is...my house was built in 1976 and therefore has GFCI's only in the bathroom :(

BTW: I better say this before someone asks: NO...I'm not going to cook my dinner in the bathroom :D

iwire

Staff member

We where switching a under counter light like that for about a year before the GFCI got tired of 3 or 4 "tests" each day. :D The light was over the sink and yes we used it that much.

I had to break down and install a switch, my wife was ready to call an electrician out of the local news paper. :roll:

charlie

Bob, maybe you would be cooking in the bathroom with Ryan after that "electrician" got done. HMMM . . . speaking of flavor enhancers. :D

wildman

Pierre....these little units pull a lot of current....when you yank out that plug from a receptacle it will draw a heck of an arc! Most times hands will be wet when wife does the yanking, so she feels a little tingle and she knows it ain't me doing the tingling! Guess you could install a switched receptacle...lets see, one in the kitchen, one in the dining area, and of course one in the master bath! Been using gfci for several years...grilled cheese sandwiches once a week... wife is happy and so am I! BTW....how many of you or your customers test that gfci once a month(at least) the way the manufacturer request you to? My guess would be less than 10%

Status
Not open for further replies.