SEC replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SEC replacement

Hello - so we need to replace the sec due to it being frayed. There is a #4 copper coming from the footings to the panel.When I checked the water main I noticed that it had been changed to plastic. So my question is can I just add a ground rod to replace the one that went to the water pipe?

If there is a connection to a CEE in the footing an additional electrode is not required.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Comment

I've never heard of a cee and how would I know?

Comment

CEE- concrete encased electrode.
        As mentioned, if you have a CEE you do not need any additional grounding electrode.
        See 250.52.

Comment

Just noticed you said "SEC" in your post. To most that means service entrance conductor. Do you mean GEC as in grounding electrode conductor?

Comment

Originally posted by texie View Post
            Just noticed you said "SEC" in your post. To most that means service entrance conductor. Do you mean GEC as in grounding electrode conductor?
            Sounds like he's changing the old SE cable and found that the water pipe electrode is no longer present because it's been changed to plastic. If the CEE exists then as you've stated no other electrodes are required to replace the water pipe electrode.
            Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Comment

If the number 4 is coming from the footing it appears you have a concrete encased electrode.
              They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
              She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
              I can't help it if I'm lucky

Comment

Thanks everyone

Comment

Working...
                X