Moving circuits to sub panel with two way Gen/Utility transfer Generac box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving circuits to sub panel with two way Gen/Utility transfer Generac box

OK, Have most of the stuff installed except actually moving the 15/20 amp 110 breakers in the main panel to the new sub panel. Both panels are QO and I went ahead and bought the snap on neutral bar 100 amp 24 circuit QO panel for my sub.

Several questions on pig tailing the wires in the main panel:

Grounding conductors: any limit on how many I can group together and use one wire to extend to the new sub panel? Why can't I just connect the two grounding bars? Both panels are metal nippled together. Preferred method for pig tailing?

The new sub has no grounding bar! I added one! I

I assume just extend the grounded and ungrounded conductors to the new panel.

Equipment is a Generac 100 amp transfer switch panel (no additional breakers spots), 30 amp 4 prong generator receptacle, QO 100amp sub panel, QO 200 amp main panel
    Last edited by etp; 08-16-19, 09:43 AM.

https://www.jadelearning.com/groundi...le-generators/

No grounding rod needed since my generator case is bonded to the grounding conductor.

Answer to the grounding wire from the main to the transfer switch fed sub panel is that one wire is sufficient and can be connected to the grounding bar in the main panel. That is the way all the prewired systems are wired.

Mike has many free books and a few on generators.

https://www.mikeholt.com/freestuff-books.php

Last edited by etp; 08-19-19, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by etp View Post
      OK, Have most of the stuff installed except actually moving the 15/20 amp 110 breakers in the main panel to the new sub panel. Both panels are QO and I went ahead and bought the snap on neutral bar 100 amp 24 circuit QO panel for my sub.

Several questions on pig tailing the wires in the main panel:

Grounding conductors: any limit on how many I can group together and use one wire to extend to the new sub panel? Why can't I just connect the two grounding bars? Both panels are metal nippled together. Preferred method for pig tailing?

The new sub has no grounding bar! I added one! I

I assume just extend the grounded and ungrounded conductors to the new panel.

Equipment is a Generac 100 amp transfer switch panel (no additional breakers spots), 30 amp 4 prong generator receptacle, QO 100amp sub panel, QO 200 amp main panel
      Metal nipples are sufficient method of equipment grounding. Nothing prohibits you from running an actual conductor - only one would be necessary and needs to be sized per the largest overcurrent protective device which is probably your feeder breaker supplying second panel.

I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

Working...
      X