Best way to penetrate garage ceiling with conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

pfus

Occupation
Elect. Engineer
I like to know the best method for penetrating a garage ceiling with conduit. The ceiling is 5/8" drywall. There is living space above garage.
Scenario: above ceiling: 3/4" flex; below ceiling exposed emt conduit.

I came across several methods
a. I guess there is any option of drilling a hole with conduit fitting pushed into the ceiling, all exposed in the garage and variation. All, using a method to seal the resulting gap with several methos
b. using a conduit body to cover hole
c. using an electrical box and route emt though box cover

Just wondering what is very best method. Above list not meant to be comprehensive or correct.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Run the flex above the ceiling enter the back of a box mounted to the ceiling with a straight connector, continue from the box with EMT.

kwired

Electron manager
I like to know the best method for penetrating a garage ceiling with conduit. The ceiling is 5/8" drywall. There is living space above garage.
Scenario: above ceiling: 3/4" flex; below ceiling exposed emt conduit.

I came across several methods
a. I guess there is any option of drilling a hole with conduit fitting pushed into the ceiling, all exposed in the garage and variation. All, using a method to seal the resulting gap with several methos
b. using a conduit body to cover hole
c. using an electrical box and route emt though box cover

Just wondering what is very best method. Above list not meant to be comprehensive or correct.

If you are simply transitioning from flex to EMT and don''t need a box or conduit body otherwise then your method "a' works.

pfus

Occupation
Elect. Engineer
I don't understand what you're doing, but as far as cover, will it still be removable with emt routed through it?

That would be one option. More like drilling a hole in ceiling. Attach flex to rear of (exposed) box. Connect EMT to a side of box and continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.