Surge suppressor 120/240 neutral question

Status
Not open for further replies.

1haz

Curious, on a 4-wire sub panel with a surge suppressor connected to its own 2 pole breaker. The surge suppressor has two leads iwith one white wire. Would you connect this white wire to the neutral or ground bar? Not looking for help wiring just curious how you think it should go. Wiring diagram shows it going to the neutral bar but I would think the ground bar is where it should be connected. But then it
Ultimately goes back to the same bar at the meter combo so maybe it doesn't really matter.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
I'm 'assuming' that the surge suppressor is going to try and route the surge to the neutral. This keeps the ground uncontaminated. See the Zero-Surge web site for their reasoning behind keeping the ground 'clean.'

[Not associated with Zero Surge or any other surge-protection company, but I do use Z-S units]

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I agree. Connect the surge protective device (SPD) white wire to the subpanel's neutral bar. Mount the SPD as directly opposite the breaker and neutral bar as possible, and keep the SPD conductors as short an unbent as practical. (The higher the speed of the transient. the more profound the benefit of this install trick.)

Status
Not open for further replies.