No announcement yet.

Finding Low voltage wall plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you show us what one switch and one light look like close-up?
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

Comment

Makes me think, nurse call system, or go to ? Mouser or other electronics suppliers.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryFine View Post
        Can you show us what one switch and one light look like close-up?
        Agree. And also agree that the switch and lights can be had from any electronics supplier. If I can see it better, it might even be a standard security system item from ADI.

How many of these locations are there? If there is only that one it sounds like you are going to an awful lot of trouble. Probably would be easier and cheaper to change all the other plates in the house to match what you can get for that one!

-Hal

Comment

My inquiry was just about matching switchplate.

I just need the plate,original switches are stuffed in box and should be fine to reuse.
          John,

Comment

We're trying to help you use the existing buttons and lights with matching plates by coming up with a way to mount them to plates you can find. That's why we're asking for pics that show how they mount.
            Master Electrician
            Electrical Contractor
            Richmond, VA

Comment

We're trying to help you use the existing buttons and lights with matching plates by coming up with a way to mount them to plates you can find. That's why we're asking for pics that show how they mount.
              Asked and answered already. S'mise (John) arrived at it by post #15. Respectfully, Larry, you're repeating. in greater detail. what was arrived at as the answer.
              Another Al in Minnesota

Comment

The 1g blank plates are only $4.xx. If you have someone with a manual milling machine might be worth it to see how cutting one down comes out. (The idea is to use 3 plates, trim one side of each of the outer plates and both sides of the center plate an equal amount. Done right you should be left with two barely visible vertical lines where the 3 plates butt together) I feel like a mill is the best way (short of a more exotic process) to get a clean square cut edge, accurate enough where you won't have a gap between plates. A saw won't do it.

Comment

Originally posted by S'mise View Post
                  My inquiry was just about matching switchplate.

I just need the plate,original switches are stuffed in box and should be fine to reuse.
                  Ok fine!

This is like any other job where the customer has some God awful designer plates from God knows where and they expect you to match them. Ain't gonna happen, and respectfully, all the ideas suggested for Frankenplates are going to look like crap. If your customer is that fussy that they have to have that stepped plate, I can't believe that they would be happy with something cobbled together.

If this is a one-of, I would just get a 3 gang SS blank plate and drill some holes. If there are more or the customer is unreasonable, change all the plates in the house to something you can get.

-Hal

Comment

https://www.houseofantiquehardware.c...ategory=427774
                    this work?

Comment

Originally posted by sameguy View Post
                      Holes are too big, screws are in the wrong position. I saw that one too.

-Hal

Comment

Originally posted by hbiss View Post
                        Holes are too big, screws are in the wrong position. I saw that one too.-Hal
                        Go back and read post #15 by S'mise. The thread could have ended there. OP asked and #15 answered.

The chosen answer is using an available 3 gang decora brushed nickel plate (with three step edge) and blank decora inserts, field drilled and spray painted. The plates that Sameguy links to look to be a good match, and, when you look at the other choices available in that style, at Sameguy's link, you will find a 3 gang decora. . . FWIW. But S'mise said he already has that decora plate.

Another Al in Minnesota

Comment

I consider the mill down idea but the problem would be fusing them together perfectly without seeing obvious lines.
                          The plates designed for old push button style have holes too big.
                          Its no problem drilling out plate myself.
                          Here is one I did on a single plate.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	20190819_162209.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	2529711Click image for larger version

Name:	20190822_184715.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	2529712Click image for larger version

Name:	20190822_184747.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	2529713
                          By the way, they are led indicators. (above push switch)

The red color is a mechanical flag that pops up in switch to show "on" position.
                          John,

Comment

You might try contacting the plate manufacturer and see if they can make a batch of blank plates as a special order.
                            Master Electrician
                            Electrical Contractor
                            Richmond, VA

Comment

You might try contacting the plate manufacturer and see if they can make a batch of blank plates as a special order.
                              I would, but I only need one that's 3 gang.
                              Whatsy annoying me, is I have to order the (wrong)3g decora plate because no one stocks them locally.

Then I have to wait till it arrives and cobble up inserts and paint to make it work.

This will have to wait awhile.

I appreciate your advice.
                              John,

Comment

Originally posted by hbiss View Post

Holes are too big, screws are in the wrong position. I saw that one too.

-Hal

https://www.houseofantiquehardware.c...ategory=427774

For the big holes, would stainless fender washers to span the larger hole and a smaller washer behind it to center the switch in the hole work out?
                                A sheet metal strap with holes tapped for the switch plate mounting, and clearance holes for mounting the strap to box (and also holes to clear the switches themselves) could be made.
                                Last edited by synchro; 08-23-19, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X