Terminating a smaller wire awg into larger lug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terminating a smaller wire awg into larger lug

I'm looking into how to do this. I have a factory equipment power cord 4/C#16 SOOW cable that I need to connect into a 30A rated cord cap. The cord cap has a minimum conductor size of #10. The circuit is protected at 5 amps.

Any code compliant methods of "increasing" the #16 to a #10?

I do not know if this is NEC compliant, but manufacturers of terminals and the IPC training courses say to add conductor to the #16 to make it a #10.

Every three AWG numbers (and you do count the odds) doubles the capacity of the wire in amps. This is also doubling the cross section area. So, roughly two 16s is a 13, two 13s is a 10, therefore 4 #16s is a #10.

Now this works pretty good in a crimp connector. But, a screw plate or other screw type connector may be tricky to accomplish.

The result you want to see is tight connections, no ability for the #16 to pull out of the terminal when finished. TEST!
    Fredericksburg, VA

21 Hours from Winged Horses with traffic;)

Comment

Not a code compliance issue, but rather a manufacturer's instruction compliance issue.

My first thought would be to check with difference suppliers of the same pattern cord cap that are rated for the smaller conductors.

My second thought is that most of these cord caps have pressure plates that squeeze the conductors. Have you simply tried them with the smaller conductor? Obviously this would 'violate' the manufacturer's instructions, but this may simply be because the units have not been tested for the smaller conductors.

Reading between the lines I assume you are using a 30A cord cap and receptacle on a 5A circuit for some coding or mechanical reason. Could you change both to something rated for lower current?

-Jon

Comment

Just to add, I don't know _which_ 30A device you are using (voltage, poles, locking, etc) but I just pulled up this one: https://www.hubbell.com/hubbell/en/P...611BK/p/179851 that specifically states that the terminals work with #8 to #16 stranded copper.

Comment

A 30A cord cap is for plugging into a 30A receptacle which will be protected by a 30A breaker (or fuse). Might it be that the reason there is no method of connecting 16ga wire into a 30A cord cap is because you should not be able to do something so dangerous?
          __________________________________________________ ____________________________
          Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...

I'm in California, ergo I am still stuck on the 2014 NEC... We'll get around to the 2017 code in around 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by Natfuelbilll View Post
            I have a factory equipment power cord 4/C#16 SOOW cable that I need to connect into a 30A rated cord cap.
            Sez who, you or the manufacturer? If it's a factory supplied power cord, what plug is on it now? 5-15P I'll bet.

Originally posted by Jraef
            A 30A cord cap is for plugging into a 30A receptacle which will be protected by a 30A breaker (or fuse). Might it be that the reason there is no method of connecting 16ga wire into a 30A cord cap is because you should not be able to do something so dangerous?
            Read this again, then replace the receptacle and breaker!

-Hal

Comment

Fold the bared conductor back on itself several times.
              Tom
              TBLO

Comment

Originally posted by ptonsparky View Post
                Fold the bared conductor back on itself several times.
                Ok, you did say code compliant. That may not be.
                Tom
                TBLO

Comment

Originally posted by Jraef View Post
                  Did you read the part where he said the circuit is protected at 5 amps?

Comment

Originally posted by ptonsparky View Post

Ok, you did say code compliant. That may not be.
                    But it works pretty well doesn't it
                    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

Originally posted by gadfly56
                      Did you read the part where he said the circuit is protected at 5 amps?
                      Where? In the equipment? That doesn't protect the #16 power cord does it?

-Hal

Comment

Originally posted by hbiss View Post
                        Where? In the equipment? That doesn't protect the #16 power cord does it?

-Hal
                        Hal, it's in the OP.
                        Originally posted by Natfuelbilll View Post
                        I'm looking into how to do this. I have a factory equipment power cord 4/C#16 SOOW cable that I need to connect into a 30A rated cord cap. The cord cap has a minimum conductor size of #10. The circuit is protected at 5 amps.

Any code compliant methods of "increasing" the #16 to a #10?
                        Another Al in Minnesota

Comment

Originally posted by al hildenbrand View Post

Hal, it's in the OP.
                          I don't think the OP is clear on this point. I too would like to know where this 5-amp protection is located, I bet in the equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by oldsparky52 View Post
                            I don't think the OP is clear on this point. I too would like to know where this 5-amp protection is located, I bet in the equipment.
                            Why? The words used include "factory", "equipment", "power drop", "30 Amp rated", and "circuit is protected". He doesn't say "the equipment is protected". And he is using terms in a cogent querry, and the terms are not out of place, in my opinion.

Another Al in Minnesota

Comment

Originally posted by al hildenbrand View Post

Why? The words used include "factory", "equipment", "power drop", "30 Amp rated", and "circuit is protected". He doesn't say "the equipment is protected". And he is using terms in a cogent querry, and the terms are not out of place, in my opinion.
                              So you are thinking someone ran a 30-amp circuit to a 30-amp receptacle and installed a 5-amp breaker?

Comment

Working...
                              X