Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upside down meter base and disconnect

Hello,
    we have a very narrow wall and the only 400 amp meter base / disconnect we can find with an 11-1/2” width is an overhead feed but we are under ground.
    The panel (Milbank M400-APS-BS) will be fully enclosed and not exposed to weather so I am not concerned with inverting the panel. That said I am concerned with the meter readout. Can you please tell us if we can install the panel upside down, yet have the meter read right side up?

does the main breaker(s) operate vertically or horizontally? On must be up position if vertically.

If you plug meter in "upside down", reading should decrease as energy is consumed.

I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

Even if an inspector might approve this, most likely the POCO will not. They are used to terminating their wires in a certain spot and wouldn't want to have to look to make sure which way is right.
      If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Comment

Also the meter has to be listed for underground. A 400 amp meter/main for ug is bigger than what you have (the ones I've used) and has a barrier so your ug conductors can enter the bottom and terminate line side of meter and be isolated from load side conductors.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Bill View Post
          Even if an inspector might approve this, most likely the POCO will not. They are used to terminating their wires in a certain spot and wouldn't want to have to look to make sure which way is right.
          I agree.

Roger

Comment

I cannot imagine that install being allowed. I would not pass it and I am certain the power company will not go for it. It looks like a disaster waiting to happen
            They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
            She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
            I can't help it if I'm lucky

Comment

I thought most could go any direction. Here is one that would work. It is made by Milbank

https://www.gordonelectricsupply.com...BoCerEQAvD_BwE

Click image for larger version

Name:	MILBANE03938_WB_1_PE_001.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	2530052
              They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
              She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
              I can't help it if I'm lucky

Comment

Thank you all. Thought this might be odd and you confirmed. Given the narrow access we will go with a 400 amp pedestal which is 13” wide. Milbank U2849-0-2/200. We can mount in the wall. Believe it or not, every inch counts since we are between two concrete columns.

Comment

I can guarantee we wouldn’t set a meter in that installation. Too much potential for someone getting hurt while connecting, disconnecting meter.

Comment

Working...
                  X