Minimum clearance electrical equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
I had this happen at a restaurant, but I purchased signage stating no storage within 30". The inspector said, he could hold up the final if that is where they were going to store (all the paper) products. Then we both laughed, I got the final.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
At least the bollards should keep the pallets out of the work area. Not so sure about the pallet lifter, though.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Saw this in the back room of a grocery store. I know it all comes down to the money in the shortage
of electrical inspections.
Comments?

Was all of that stuff there when the electrical inspection was conducted?
Was that stuff put there as part of the electrical installation under the electrical permit?

If not, why is the inspector to be blamed?

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Good Question. I will check next time.

Mind you, I'm not saying this is still not a problem, it just might not be THAT problem. In my opinion this still violates the concept of "readily accessible".
Accessible, Readily (Readily Accessible). Capable of being reached quickly for operation, renewal, or inspections without requiring those to whom ready access is requisite to actions such as to use tools, to climb over or remove obstacles, or to resort to portable ladders, and so forth.

The term "readily accessible" is found all over the place when it comes to electrical gear, but in this case section 230.70.A.1 for Service Equipment comes to the forefront.

kwired

Electron manager
Looks typical of most retail stores I have worked in.

I don't see how you get inspector involved other than when there is work done that requires permit/inspection. Once inspection is done, it may be years before another inspection is necessary and they will place things there again by then. Most this stuff is temporarily there as it is received stock that hasn't been placed on sales floor yet, and especially in grocery stores they rotate product so that they don't end up with old product that is no good or not sell-able, not that it doesn't ever happen but the goal is to prevent that.

kwired

Electron manager
After measuring, the bollards are 22.5 inches from the front of the panel. How did this ever pass inspection unless they were installed after inspection.

bollards are most likely there to provide some protection to the equipment from fork lift traffic rather than to assure working clearance. Very possible they were installed after inspection.

Status
Not open for further replies.