Fire alarm equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickelec

In regards to commercial occupancies, what equipment needs to be wired on the line side of the service switch besides the fire pump and the fire command station. I have a situation where i need to supply emergency power to an existing ats that is feeding a smoke purge system and an ats that is feeding stair way and corridor lightning.

Right now the generator has a 1200a main that feeds a MDP and the fire pump and command station are tapped before the breaker.

Do I need to do the same for the ats switches I need to wire or can I come right off the Mdp which would be much easier for me.

I'm not exactly clear what needs to be wired before the main service switch besides the pump and command station

dkidd

Occupation
PE
In regards to commercial occupancies, what equipment needs to be wired on the line side of the service switch besides the fire pump and the fire command station. I have a situation where i need to supply emergency power to an existing ats that is feeding a smoke purge system and an ats that is feeding stair way and corridor lightning.

Right now the generator has a 1200a main that feeds a MDP and the fire pump and command station are tapped before the breaker.

Do I need to do the same for the ats switches I need to wire or can I come right off the Mdp which would be much easier for me.

I'm not exactly clear what needs to be wired before the main service switch besides the pump and command station

It has been a long time since tapping ahead of the main was suitable for an emergency power source to a fire alarm control panel. They need to either have battery backup or be fed from an Article 700 source.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It has been a long time since tapping ahead of the main was suitable for an emergency power source to a fire alarm control panel. They need to either have battery backup or be fed from an Article 700 source.

He did mention that he's is asking about the MDP fed from a generator.

We always provide a separate disconnect tapped ahead of any generator switchboard for the fire alarm emergency power.

nickelec

He did mention that he's is asking about the MDP fed from a generator.

We always provide a separate disconnect tapped ahead of any generator switchboard for the fire alarm emergency power.

Yes I agree but for all fire alarm equipment?

nickelec

Basically what I'm asking is do I need to tap before the breaker again to feed the ATS that provides emergency backup power for the smoke Purge systems

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Basically what I'm asking is do I need to tap before the breaker again to feed the ATS that provides emergency backup power for the smoke Purge systems

Are you in NYC? If not, tapping ahead of the breaker feeding the ATS is not required, nor for the fire alarm panel.

ron

I am in NYC , so are you saying that the purge system needs to be tapped ahead of the breaker

I am not aware of a NYC building code or electrical code amendment that would require the post fire smoke purge system required in a high-rise to be tapped ahead of the main. Review the NYC Building Code Section 916 and Chapter 27

NYC Electric Code 760.41(A) requires it for the Fire alarm and 695.4(B)(2)(4) requires a tap ahead of the generator breaker for the fire pump and Building Code 403.4.8.2.3 requires a tap ahead of the main for the fire pump if the is no generator.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I am not aware of a NYC building code or electrical code amendment that would require the post fire smoke purge system required in a high-rise to be tapped ahead of the main. Review the NYC Building Code Section 916 and Chapter 27

NYC Electric Code 760.41(A) requires it for the Fire alarm and 695.4(B)(2)(4) requires a tap ahead of the generator breaker for the fire pump and Building Code 403.4.8.2.3 requires a tap ahead of the main for the fire pump if the is no generator.

Yes, I should have been a little clearer. The smoke purge system is specifically not considered to be life safety, so no tapping ahead is required.

Status
Not open for further replies.