Unusual 3-way Switch Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rdeisenmann

New User
While working on the wiring for one of the switches in my recently purchased house, I noticed that one of the other switches in the box is a 3-way switch that is wired differently than I have ever seen before. The 3-way switches control the outlets in the room, so lamp plugged into the outlets are switched (1 outlet on each receptacle is switched, the other is always hot). A hot (black) wire is connected to the traveler screw on each switch. A red wire runs between the other traveler screws. A third wire (yellow) runs between the common screws, and connects to the black screws on the switched receptacles along the line. (See the attached diagram for clarification) This setup works like a typical 3-way switch, but since I've never seen anything like it before, I was wondering if it is safe and legal. Thanks for the input.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.

This site is designed for:
  • Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals

* This NEC Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
If you feel this action to be in error, feel free to contact me via PM to explain.

Status
Not open for further replies.