NEMA 4X Panel Durability

Status
Not open for further replies.

FaradayFF

Hi guys,

From your experience, how does NEMA 4X outdoor panel hold up against weather elements(rain, sun, wind, snow) when installed at a high elevation in the mountains? We have a project in Sierras and I am not convinced that the panel by itself will last very long if exposed to the elements, especially considering lightning is a concern in the area. I am leaning towards designing a control house(shed) for this control panel.

Thanks,
EE

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
Nema 4X plastic?
Nema 4X stainless?

In either case I don't see the lightning being any more of an issue with a panel as opposed to a shed. It would appear that a direct lightning strike would murder either.

(I'm north of 65N latitude)
I like the plastic. Add drains and vents. Add hell-for-stout cover/wind break.

Maybe some more context would help

mike_kilroy

Those have been used for many years successfully in all kinds of environments. Just be SURE you put HEATERS on thermostats in the cabinet or you WILL get condensation on inside parts very quickly and destroy things. Ask Nema box mfgr to recommend the heater wattage sizes required - they are experts at that.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
NEMA 4X painted steel is, in my opinion, an oxymoron; in the old days if it was painted steel, it could be NEMA 4, but not 4X. The 4X painted steel trend started with people using epoxy powder coating systems where they claimed as good of corrosion protection as Stainless Steel. I call BS... One tiny nick in the paint and the box is done.

Stainless steel is best, but expensive. Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic (FRP) or PVC is fine, but offers less physical protection. A smallish tree branch falling on a SS N4X box during a wind storm is not that big of a risk, but on a PVC or FRP box, it wipes it out.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Plastic boxes exposed to the weather and sun seem to have issues more than SS boxes IME. As someone else mentioned, plastic is more susceptible to physical damage as well.

I would not be worried about a lightning strike. If it happens, it won't matter any what material the box is made of.

A sun shade is often a good idea with outdoor enclosures as are internal heaters to control condensation. Even so, I usually put some kind of drain in the bottom of the enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.