How to best penetrate garage ceiling with EMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

five.five-six

I’d probably just set a 4S box over your mud-ring and 90 into it wit. Kick off the wall to make it to the KO

question though, is there access to living space from above the garage ceiling? That changes a bot because of fire rating. Looks like it’s a single sheet of 5/8” on the lid so I’m assuming that there is no fire path to living space.

oldsparky52

That seems a good idea! How woudl I attach the box to the other box? Use an extension box like this?
https://www.platt.com/platt-electri...ensions/Appleton/4SES/product.aspx?zpid=72070

There is a bedroom above... Also surprised to find only one sheet... There is one other opening just like this for a garage door opener outlet. Is there something I need to/can do with my opening?

You take off that mud ring and I think the ko's sit back enough to have sheet rock interference.

five.five-six

Normally you would have wrapped the 4S box in red sheets of fire putty before drywall. Not sure what to do now. Is it being inspected?

if not, I might get a 4x4x4 box, pull a 1” KO in it for wires to pass through a chase nipple and locknut, then drill 4 holes for the 6-32’s and firecaulk it to the ceiling

Hopefully some AHJ type will stop by and say if they would sign off on that or not.

pfus

Occupation
Elect. Engineer
BTW. do I have any option with a watertight extender or box? Hoping to make this at least splash resistant, being in a garage

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Pfus, you are a PE and we welcome your participation in the forums at that level but what you are doing here is basically DIY work and with that being the case, I must close this thread in accordance with the forum rules.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.