What caused corrosion in these wires? water damage or joule heating, etc.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
You can request government inspection offices to visit and issue a certificate within the day in the US?

Here in one city of 3 million population, we only have 5 inspectors (average salary per month is $250), so they have to schedule it. Processing is between one to two weeks.

I just talked with the Power company. They said it would be faster if we make a separate service entrance. Power interruption can only be days. So I guess this is the recourse we will take if I can get the neighbors to cooperate and shell some bucks (harder would be to convince each to apply for remodeling permit at city hall). Thank you all for the corrosion identification thing.

This is what I would do.

And maybe bring in a grounding service conductor, though I remember you said that would involve boring up the concrete.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
No. When I bought the house which is part of 5 townhouse inside compound. The main panels outside street were already like this (each breaker services one house). Two already suffered lack of electricity. The others would fail in due time.

The greatest damages in the wires are in the top of the breakers where rain from the meters and top enclosure flow down the wires.

The picture supports my statement. Thank you.

kwired

Electron manager
There is no outer layer. What you saw were just debris or corroded surface. Below are the lower terminals. There were less water exposure and damage that was why the wires were still intact.

Are the above corroded main service entrance wires the worse you have seen in your life.. or have you seen worse?

Again I bough the house second hand with 4 neighbors. They don't want to replace the enclosure outside because it would cost a lot so I'd suggest to them to at least cover the following from rain. Any ideas how best to cover them? Maybe put plastic over the entire cage? What do you think?

Parts that are white is where the outer layer is gone and aluminum oxide has formed. Parts that are not white is where there is still some (tin?) plating still intact. I have seen similar to what you have posted many times as well as worse.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
It appears to me that you would be best served by having a competent electrical contractor just replace the whole thing with some breakers in a weather proof enclosure. It looks to me like there is at least an attempt at some limited protection from the elements already but it may not have been done very well if water is getting to live parts.

It looks like there is a lot of corrosion of the metal boxes that will need to be dealt with. replacement seems like the only long term solution.

growler

Here in one city of 3 million population, we only have 5 inspectors (average salary per month is $250), so they have to schedule it. Processing is between one to two weeks.

I think I would check to see what the normal bribe rate is to expedite things a bit.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Regardless of the reasonings and justifications for inaction, the facts remain the facts and that this is not just dangerous, it is potentially DEADLY!

Situations like this will not get better with time, or even stay the same, it will ONLY GET WORSE and in fact that process is in a steady state of accelerating. When something catches on fire and burns your places down, the cost to fix it will seem trivial. And if, God forbid, a child sticks their hand through that grate to retrieve a ball or something and touches live conductive parts, the blame will be on those that ignored this. :rant:

DO WHATEVER IT TAKES

Last edited:

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Regardless of the reasonings and justifications for inaction, the facts remain the facts and that this is not just dangerous, it is potentially DEADLY!

situations like this will not get better with time, or even stay the same, it will ONLY GET WORSE and in fact that process is in a streaky state of accelerating. When something catches on fire and burns your places down, the cost to fix it will seem trivial. And if, God forbid, a child sticks their hand through that grate to retrieve a ball or something and touches live conductive parts, the blame will be on those that ignored this. :rant:

DO WHATEVER IT TAKES

You are wasting your breath. Sit tight for another 20 pages of questions about garbage that should be in the dumpster. :sick:

-Hal

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I'm closing this thread. There appears to be a reluctance to do what needs to be done, and any further assistance from members in allowing this to continue as is must be avoided. Further discussion is pointless. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.