No announcement yet.

Service size for 2 - 16 hp motors and 1 - 10 hp motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One would think in this day and age these blowers would use 3ph motors and VFDs.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd0x1 View Post
      One would think in this day and age these blowers would use 3ph motors and VFDs.
      Why? Where single phase power is all that is available you need about double size drive you would for three phase. Much bigger and only single phase available then phase conversion is a necessity. They never vary the speed on these fans, so no need for any features of the drive other than phase conversion and soft starting is mostly just a bonus. Environment for electronics is harsher in locations where these fans are used, outdoors, sometimes dusty environments - a drive needs cooling air, remote places - lightning is a common cause for damages to electrical items - all adds to cost when the motor as is in OP has much less of that stuff to be concerned about. Yes start capacitors are one of the more common failures, those are not really that expensive though compared to having to repair a 150-200 amp rated drive.
      I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

I would think about cycling the heat only. Let the fans run. Those one hour restarts will kill those start capacitors.
        Tom
        TBLO

Comment

Originally posted by kwired View Post

Why? Where single phase power is all that is available you need about double size drive you would for three phase. Much bigger and only single phase available then phase conversion is a necessity. They never vary the speed on these fans, so no need for any features of the drive other than phase conversion and soft starting is mostly just a bonus. Environment for electronics is harsher in locations where these fans are used, outdoors, sometimes dusty environments - a drive needs cooling air, remote places - lightning is a common cause for damages to electrical items - all adds to cost when the motor as is in OP has much less of that stuff to be concerned about. Yes start capacitors are one of the more common failures, those are not really that expensive though compared to having to repair a 150-200 amp rated drive.
          Thanks for the explanation. I hadn't considered the environmental conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by ptonsparky View Post
            I would think about cycling the heat only. Let the fans run. Those one hour restarts will kill those start capacitors.
            Probably will much quicker than typical use on a grain bin does where during regular usage the most frequent starting cycles might be once a day.
            I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

Working...
            X