Power Pole question

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireday

Occupation
Master electrician
I have a office area with sheetrock ceiling with accessible attic overhead,Do they make a power pole designed for this application?

wireday

Occupation
Master electrician
The power poles like the ones made from wiremold are set up to mount to a T bar,with a trim for the dropped ceiling, The attic above has a floor that I could fish to the pole, there would be a junction in between the ceiling and floor above,Also the only thing holding the pole would be the sheetrock from the ceiling,I believe that would be in violation.I was wondering what others may have done.Its a desk type work station on wheels,but will most likely never move, out in the middle of a large office type area,

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
The power poles like the ones made from wiremold are set up to mount to a T bar,with a trim for the dropped ceiling, The attic above has a floor that I could fish to the pole, there would be a junction in between the ceiling and floor above,Also the only thing holding the pole would be the sheetrock from the ceiling...

I think a smart guy like you could figure out a way to support the top by the joists. Like maybe a piece of Unistrut angle? Since you are going to remove some of the attic floor anyway, connecting your cables shouldn't be a problem.

wireday

Occupation
Master electrician
Thanks for the complement, I’m sure your smart enough to understand the junction box would end up not readily accessible.

wireday

Occupation
Master electrician
I called wiremold today they do not make a power pole listed/designed for a hard ceiling like Sheetrock, my question is if anyone knows of a power pole designed for this purpose. Or other options?

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Is there any way to get it right next to a ceiling joist that you could then fasten to from below?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kwired

Electron manager
The power poles like the ones made from wiremold are set up to mount to a T bar,with a trim for the dropped ceiling, The attic above has a floor that I could fish to the pole, there would be a junction in between the ceiling and floor above,Also the only thing holding the pole would be the sheetrock from the ceiling,I believe that would be in violation.I was wondering what others may have done.Its a desk type work station on wheels,but will most likely never move, out in the middle of a large office type area,
Cut ceiling so it fits tight, it isn't going anywhere. Should someone get abusive with it in a T-bar ceiling chances are it moves just as easy if not easier than through that hole in the sheet rock ceiling.

Junction box ends up within attic floor? Make an access panel in the floor somehow. Want even more lateral support, place reinforcement between framing members or line it up with a framing member and attach to either of those. If you really need that lateral support, chances are that power pole is getting bent when it does get whatever abuse is headed it's way.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Junction box ends up within attic floor? Make an access panel in the floor somehow.

I've cut out a 12x12" hole with a circular saw, screwed some cleats on two sides of the hole underneath to support the piece I just cut out. Couple of screws to hold it down, then I painted it with my can of fluorescent orange marking paint so everybody knows where it is.

Bobs your uncle. :cool:

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.