DC powered lighting & control system

Status
Not open for further replies.

gar

Occupation
EE
190916-2030 EDT

I doubt I would have any reason to put this type of system in my home. I have not been able to visualize why I would. Why would I want such a system?

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
190916-2030 EDT

I doubt I would have any reason to put this type of system in my home. I have not been able to visualize why I would. Why would I want such a system?

Good question that I wish had been answered in the video.

I can’t imagine that it’s cheaper after buying all the equipment; maybe easier and safer to install for the less skilled “electrician”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Make fun of it all you like this is where we are headed. New buildings don't use switches to control lights. Every light, occupancy sensor, daylight sensor, timer, door keypad has an address and a cat V pulled to it and a programmer comes in and makes it all sing and dance.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Make fun of it all you like this is where we are headed. New buildings don't use switches to control lights. Every light, occupancy sensor, daylight sensor, timer, door keypad has an address and a cat V pulled to it and a programmer comes in and makes it all sing and dance.

Pretty soon we won't be needed for anything. :(

-Hal

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Only if you don't adapt. The future is looking good for anyone willing to embrace it.

My opinion is the current employee market and especially future forecast is going to require these technologies.

We’re losing ground on skilled tradesman. At some point modular systems like this will become the majority as the labor pool can’t keep up with the pace of new construction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Yeah, let's see. I can make a career out of installing outside disconnects and running CAT5 lighting. Wonder why nobody want's to go into the trades anymore.:blink:

-Hal
Whatever. I can't remember the last time there was as much demand for skilled labor and the more skilled you are the more you are worth. I'm on a crew with ten to twelve guys and they are all younger than me. Most are in their twenties.

Do I care if I'm pulling cat V across a ceiling or pulling wire in conduit? No.

Is it hard to learn how to make up cat V cables? No. Am I worth more because I can do it? Yes.

Is it hard to read some literature and watch some youtube videos about lighting controls and energy management? Is it hard to get on the phone with customer support and learn how to program a keypad? No. Do I look like some kind of genius to the people that employ me? Yes.

Non of this stuff is any harder than learning how to wire up a motor starter and once you start it's quite a bit of fun.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Yeah, let's see. I can make a career out of installing outside disconnects and running CAT5 lighting. Wonder why nobody want's to go into the trades anymore.:blink:

-Hal

That won’t be the career for guys like you, me, and many others here. But it will be a job for many. Call it a stepping stone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
ActionDave said:
I can't remember the last time there was as much demand for skilled labor and the more skilled you are the more you are worth. I'm on a crew with ten to twelve guys and they are all younger than me. Most are in their twenties.

Do I care if I'm pulling cat V across a ceiling or pulling wire in conduit? No.

Is it hard to learn how to make up cat V cables? No. Am I worth more because I can do it? Yes.

Is it hard to read some literature and watch some youtube videos about lighting controls and energy management? Is it hard to get on the phone with customer support and learn how to program a keypad? No. Do I look like some kind of genius to the people that employ me? Yes.

Non of this stuff is any harder than learning how to wire up a motor starter and once you start it's quite a bit of fun.

Believe me, I spent plenty of time doing LV work, namely network wiring and jacks. To me it's grunt work. Little intelligence required and repetitive. Now I sub it out because I would rather have root canal than get stuck doing it.

I probably would pay someone more to do that kind of work because money would be the only incentive to keep them from quitting.

That won’t be the career for guys like you, me, and many others here. But it will be a job for many. Call it a stepping stone?

I call it a race to the bottom.

-Hal

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
LEDs don't need 110 VAC to operate! They're happier at 5 volts DC or less! Why are we still mandating 110 VAC lighting outlets all over the place? Learn the wonders of ultra-low voltage wiring!

Status
Not open for further replies.