CAFCI tripping in multiple units in New Townhouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeteSan

New User
Hello!

I am a long time reader, first time poster and I am hoping that the fine people here can share their opinions on the following issue. My daughter just moved into a brand new modular townhouse built on a college campus. Since she has moved in (3 weeks now) her townhouse and the one above hers have been experiencing multiple circuit breakers tripping (A/C, kitchen lights, Refrigerator, washing machine). She has called the facilities dept and they just come out and reset the breakers.

The downstairs and upstairs townhouses have their own 200A Siemens P4260B3200CU panels with Siemens QAF2 20A CAFCI breakers and a 200A main breaker that is mounted upside down (the breaker is in the on position when down which I believe is not per code NEC 240.81).

My daugher has been told that the problem is that the breakers are “working too well” and the remedy is to swap out the Siemens breakers with Square D breakers. I have read about certified breakers but I have also read that Siemens and Square D are expressly against using different breakers in other MFRs panels.

What are are your thoughts on this? There are 10 other units in her building and another identical building next to this one and none are experiencing this problem.

Thank you!

Pete

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.

This site is designed for:
  • Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals

* This NEC Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
If you feel this action to be in error, feel free to contact me via PM to explain.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the “Flag” icon at the bottom right corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.