Can I do this pull?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I have a project that need to pull 250 feet of (7) #6 THWN through 2" PVC with 4 90s. I don't have much experience in long wire pulls. Individuals with pulling experience, do you think it is possible to hand pull all 7 conductor at once using 1/4" nylon rope? Of course I will have a person at the other end feeding and lots of pulling soap.

Thanks for your replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have a project that need to pull 250 feet of (7) #6 THWN through 2" PVC with 4 90s. I don't have much experience in long wire pulls. Individuals with pulling experience, do you think it is possible to hand pull all 7 conductor at once using 1/4" nylon rope? Of course I will have a person at the other end feeding and lots of pulling soap.

Thanks for your replies.

According to my favorite conduit fill calculator, your minimum size is 1-1/4" PVC, so you're okay there.

There is a risk of cutting through the inside radius of the elbows with the rope,.especially the last one.

Definitely use gravity to your advantage by feeding the wire from the end with the greater elevation.

Make the cable head smooth and tapered and try to get pulling lube ahead of the head of the wire.

The more your helper can push, the less you'll have to pull, and minimize the risk of elbow damage.

synchro

Occupation
EE
I think long sweep elbows that have a larger radius would help you do the pull. Standard 2" Sch 40 elbows have a 9 1/2" radius, but you can get 18", 24", 36" and even larger radius elbows. I'm guessing an 18" radius may be all you'd need.

synchro

Occupation
EE
You should also use polypropylene rope instead of nylon because nylon stretches a lot.
Polyester is even better and less likely to cut through at the elbows, but it's expensive.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
1/4" nylon makes a terrible pull rope.

You would be better off with 1800# mule tape so you don't burn the 90's.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Thank you for your replies. I thought about the sweeps after the conduits were installed. Well, too late now. But I will use the mule rope and have a "come-along" handy just in case.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
1/4" nylon makes a terrible pull rope.

You would be better off with 1800# mule tape so you don't burn the 90's.

I do have plenty of this rope (mule tape)
My mistake, the 1/4" yellow rope that I have is polypropylene not nylon.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Use muletape and you'll be fine. It'll take you about twenty five to thirty minutes once your all set up.

You are a lot more sanguine in this than I am. Thank you for the optimism. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.