Recreational Vehicle Multiple Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Hello, I was out and about trying to drum up some business since I recently started my own shop. I stopped by my local R.V park and he threw something at me and I could not answer confidently. He has 12 meters at his location, 11 being 120/240 1 phase coming from 3 separate transformers on poles around the park. The other 1 is 120/208 Y 3 phase for his water system. He wants to consolidate the 11 single phase meters to one. He said the power company told him he can't do that he has to have them. I don't see why they can't lose the 3 transformers and charge him for a large one and just have one meter. I am going to talk with the Power company today about it. Was just wondering if I am missing something. Any thoughts on that?

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
I'm assuming the power company owns the transformers on the poles. If that's the case, then I can see them requiring at least 1 meter per transformer.

Does the power company own the wires from pole to pole within the park? That would make it harder to use 1 transformer and distribute power throughout the park.

Where do the wires from the meters go? I'm also assuming to several individual RV sites. Are the RVers billed individually for power use? 1 meter per RV?

Could be the PoCo distribution isn't big enough for a single service/load and the park is spread around the local feeders.

Why does he want to do this, anyway? He'd be trading PoCo maintained distribution for a park-maintained system and would have to install what's probably a lot of copper to make it work. Unless there's a billing issue, I don't see any advantages.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
He is getting charged $31 per meter all separate billing (+4k a year for just meters).

The power company does own the transformers, and wire to the poles. 4 service drops on 2 of the transformers, 3 on the last, and one on the 3 phase. Wires for each meter feed out door panels feeding a number of sites.

Each RV site is individually metered for the owners use only. They are all coming of the main line serving the area. If there all coming from one source it should not effect any loading on their side its just isolating the connections that are scattered across the property.

It might not be cost effective just wondering why the PUD told him to fly a kite. Curiosity more then anything.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
He is getting charged $31 per meter all separate billing (+4k a year for just meters).... It might not be cost effective just wondering why the PUD told him to fly a kite. Curiosity more then anything.

--Are there only 11 RVs, each with its own POCO meter? Or are there more RVs, and the park owner has his own sub-metering??

$31 x 11 meters = $341/month

If he could combine circuits to 1 meter per transformer, that would be $31 x 3 = $93/month.

I would think that this is something he could do without the POCO's permission (assuming the drops have enough oomph to handle the combined loads). He'd save $31 x 8 = $248/month.

With almost $250/month; $3000/year in savings, that should cover a bunch of the re-wiring. Probably make up the cost of the conversion in 1-2 years. Probably improve the power situation in the park as well!

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
87 Total unites Divided among the 11 meters. Each Pedestal has its own sub-metering, owned by the owner.

If he could combine circuits to 1 meter per transformer, that would be $31 x 3 = $93/month.

Ya, That sound the simplest way to help him. And your right about not needing the POCO's permission.

Thank you now I have a plan when I talk to the POCO about his property.

Status
Not open for further replies.