Two bath outlets required for two sinks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
He should give you the code section. Its 210.51 4 D, the recp needs to be withing 3 ft of the outside edge of the basin, So you may need two depending on the bathroom counter size.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
the inspector says we need two outlets if the bath vanity has two sinks. True ? I wish he would’ve seen this in the rough in inspection. Thank you

Do you have no more than the maximum of 3' that Tom mentioned? Here's the code wording, sounds like one duplex will be complaint.

210.52(D) Bathrooms. At least one receptacleoutlet shall be installed in bathrooms within 900 mm (3 ft) of the outside edge ofeach basin.

growler

I wish he would’ve seen this in the rough in inspection. Thank you

You really can't expect the inspector to catch every little thing on a rough inspection. I have seen new houses where they even missed it on the final. It still required in many instances and a homeowner could make the electrician come back and install it if the house is still under warranty.

GerryB

Good point. If the inspector knows it's a double sink he would probably catch it on the rough, but it is up to the electrician to know the rule and what is being installed.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
A single receptacle may serve two sinks as long as it's close enough to both, as in being between them.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
A single receptacle may serve two sinks as long as it's close enough to both, as in being between them.

That is correct. We seldom install a receptacle between 2 sinks because there is often a mirror so we install a receptacle on each side walls or somewhere compliant

growler

Most of the time you will see two receptacles for a double sink. I looked in the older codes and sure enough back in 1996 they didn't really give any other option. One receptacle adjacent to each basin. Starting in 1999 they stated that within 36" of edge of basin.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I think that was a joke:) You can see the reflection of the door in the mirror and in the receptacle faceplate. :)

Even if an inspector tried to claim its ONE receptacle for EACH sink, doesn't a duplex count as 2 receptacles??

Status
Not open for further replies.