OkoWatt, is it for real?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Total and complete BS.

At the very best it is a small power factor correction capacitor. At worst it is a smaller capacitor just for (very poor) noise filtering.

Among the incorrect statements is that POCO bills you for apparent power rather than real power.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Here it’s an Ecowatt.
its capacitors.
supposed to be for power factor correction.
Houses aren't(may get hit on that word) charged for power factor. They have an assumed PF of 1
Usually just large industrial. Some places all commercial are charged for kVARs.

dont waste your money.
If nikolai Tesla invented it that far back and its just coming to light, and would do what it says, it would sell for more than $40.
if you could get one...

you've already got a house house full of capacitors anyway. All your devices have them internally to correct the device and reduce noise.

Last edited:

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
I like their pictures for the waveform noise and power factor. I really liked the power bills showing the reduction from $201 to $17.

Of course they are lying.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I like their pictures for the waveform noise and power factor. I really liked the power bills showing the reduction from $201 to $17.

I would like to see the conditions that before graph is showing.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I couldn't find there "guaranteed promise" other than just those words. The link to the FAQ page doesn't work! I was looking for a place to leave a comment is why I was even looking.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College

It's no lie! The $201 was in the middle of August, and the $17 was when they shut down the house in October and snow bird flew to Florida!

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Total and complete BS.

Among the incorrect statements is that POCO bills you for apparent power rather than real power.
I was paid, as a consultant, to validate a similar device. Sent measurements and 'scope traces - along with my bill!
Same conclusion as you - but I worded it more tactfully.............:)

Occupation
Electrical/Lighting Engineer
This is total BS. I had a large industrial project in which we installed capacitors to increase the power factor, reducing the apparent power on the system freeing up capacity we can use for more motors. They said "Great! Plus we will save on the power bill". Drew up the power triangle, showing the power factor, real power, apparent power and reactive power so they could see why although we are reducing apparent power their bill wont go down. I should note we made sure their bill did not include a penalty for the terrible power factor they had when we started our expansion project. They were not.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
This is total BS. I had a large industrial project in which we installed capacitors to increase the power factor, reducing the apparent power on the system freeing up capacity we can use for more motors. They said "Great! Plus we will save on the power bill". Drew up the power triangle, showing the power factor, real power, apparent power and reactive power so they could see why although we are reducing apparent power their bill wont go down. I should note we made sure their bill did not include a penalty for the terrible power factor they had when we started our expansion project. They were not.

+1

We don't charge for poor PF either. Its hard to get people to understand without penalties no money is saved with caps, only capacity like you said.

Status
Not open for further replies.