Luminaires in Damp Location (Residential)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerramundi

Occupation
Licensed Residential Electrician
Greetings everyone,

I'm installing a few light fixtures in a two family dwelling, specifically under the roof of the open porches, which, according to the NEC, is a Damp Location.

I'm familiar with 410.10(A) - Luminaires installed in wet or damp locations shall be installed such that water cannot enter or accumulate in wiring compartments, lampholders, or other electrical parts. All luminaires installed in wet locations shall be marked, “Suitable for Wet Locations”. All luminaires installed in damp locations shall be marked, “Suitable for Wet Locations” or “Suitable for Damp Locations”.

So clearly I need fixtures that, at a minimum, are marked "Suitable for Damp Locations."

THE PROBLEM is that all the fixtures I can find that fit the clients request for an integrated motion detector are described as either "Weather Resistant (WR)" and/or "Weatherproof (WP)."

Does "Weather Resistant (WR)" translate to "Suitable for Damp Location" and/or does "Weatherproof (WP)" translate to "Suitable for Wet Location?"

My feeling is that the answer is NO... that I need fixtures that specifically state "Suitable for Damp Location." To reiterate, the only fixtures I can find meeting the clients request are marked as either "Weather Resistant (WR)" and/or "Weatherproof (WP)."

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I would point out that marking seems to include verbiage that is not actually on the product itself but can be on the carton it comes in or a separate paper. You might want to just call the lighting manufacturer tech support and ask.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
THE PROBLEM is that all the fixtures I can find that fit the clients request for an integrated motion detector are described as either "Weather Resistant (WR)" and/or "Weatherproof (WP)."...Does "Weather Resistant (WR)" translate to "Suitable for Damp Location" and/or does "Weatherproof (WP)" translate to "Suitable for Wet Location?"

My feeling is that the answer is NO... that I need fixtures that specifically state "Suitable for Damp Location." To reiterate, the only fixtures I can find meeting the clients request are marked as either "Weather Resistant (WR)" and/or "Weatherproof (WP)."

Weather Resistant and Weather Proof is a step above Suitable for damp locations. You would use Weather Resistant or Weather Proof in the open outside the house so obviously under a porch is a no brainer.

-Hal

Jerramundi

Occupation
I would point out that marking seems to include verbiage that is not actually on the product itself but can be on the carton it comes in or a separate paper. You might want to just call the lighting manufacturer tech support and ask.

Bob,

Seems reasonable that "marking seems to include verbiage that... can be on the carton it comes in or a separate paper." However, I would argue that the code specifically states the it is the luminaire itself that shall be marked. Given the presence of quotation marks in 410.10(A), I assume the wording has to be specific too and this where I get tripped up.

The code is very specific when it comes to receptacles and where Weather Resistance (WR) and Weather Proof (WP) is required in terms of location (Damp/Wet)... but as far as luminaires go, all I can find online is 410.10(A), the verbiage of which does not specifically reference Weather Resistance (WR) and/or Weather Proof (WP)... only shall be marked, “Suitable for Wet Locations” or “Suitable for Damp Locations”.

Last edited:

Jerramundi

Occupation
One of the first things I learned in studying the code is that when the NEC uses the word "shall," you better sit up straight and do as your told, haha.

I suppose I just kind of answered my own question. 410.10(A) specifically says, "All luminaires installed in damp locations shall be marked, 'Suitable for Wet Locations' or 'Suitable for Damp Locations.' "

I found ONE fixture that the website specifications list it as both Weather Resistant and Weatherproof. Common sense dictates that this would satisfy the requirement I'm attempting to fulfill.

Still, I would feel better if the fixture itself had that little sticker that read "Suitable for Damp/Wet Location."

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Bob,

Seems reasonable that "marking seems to include verbiage that... can be on the carton it comes in or a separate paper." However, I would argue that the code specifically states the it is the luminaire itself that shall be marked. Given the presence of quotation marks in 410.10(A), I assume the wording has to be specific too and this where I get tripped up.

The code is very specific when it comes to receptacles and where Weather Resistance (WR) and Weather Proof (WP) is required in terms of location (Damp/Wet)... but as far as luminaires go, all I can find online is 410.10(A), the verbiage of which does not specifically reference Weather Resistance (WR) and/or Weather Proof (WP)... only shall be marked, “Suitable for Wet Locations” or “Suitable for Damp Locations”.

Lots of things in the Code aren't followed by manufacturers. Nowadays you are lucky to find a fixture that is even listed, and if you do it's often a counterfeit label.

I think you are overthinking this!

-Hal

Jerramundi

Occupation
Lots of things in the Code aren't followed by manufacturers. Nowadays you are lucky to find a fixture that is even listed, and if you do it's often a counterfeit label.

I think you are overthinking this!

-Hal

Me? Overthinking something? Nah ;)

Problem is... what's common sense and perfectly fine to one person (despite the code)... is another's ammunition, especially here in Chicago. Guys have their claws out when it comes to young, non-union guy like me trying to get a foot in the door. I'm just trying to follow the rules. As Electrical Contractors, we bear the entirety of liability.

Status
Not open for further replies.