Home Center vs Supply House

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Don't really know, but I imagine because the concept of Siemens selling direct to home improvement centers was cutting out the previously contractual distribution programs they already had in place, so they likely made some concessions regarding not allowing the home centers to have access to "industrial grade" components. So for other examples HD was not allowed to buy switchgear, most of the larger industrial breakers, bus duct, transformers, power monitoring, controls, PLCs, etc. etc. Just load centers and the breakers that go in them, metering panels, GD safety switches, and a limited selection of lighting controls.

Though that is changing slowly. I see more and more commercial/industrial being offered and incentives for contractors.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Though that is changing slowly. I see more and more commercial/industrial being offered and incentives for contractors.

Home Depot tried to enter this space directly when they bought out Hughes Supply and renamed it HD Supply. Pretty sure they’ve completely exited the market and are now something akin to Grainger.

It’s been a long time now so I don’t exactly remember the details, but I know Hughes was in terrible financial shape at the time, and I don’t know what role that played in HD Supply changing their strategy. I remember reading an article where some Hime depot execs stated they did not realize just how bad the Hughes supply deal was until after they completely took control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
HD and Lowe's here carry absolutely no 3ph equipment, unless you're counting 12-3 MC.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.