Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Routing ground electrode conductor in a conduit

Hi Gents,

How common is it to route a panel grounding conductor in a conduit that connects the ground rod to a power panel/control panel installed outdoors on a unistrut? Here the function of pipe is to provide mechanical protection for the ground wire and also as a means to provide a waterproof entry into the panel.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    EE

Originally posted by FaradayFF View Post
    Hi Gents,

How common is it to route a panel grounding conductor in a conduit that connects the ground rod to a power panel/control panel installed outdoors on a unistrut? Here the function of pipe is to provide mechanical protection for the ground wire and also as a means to provide a waterproof entry into the panel.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    EE
    I beleive that a #8 for a gec must be run in conduit under all conditions. A #6 may or may not require a conduit depending on location. I have seen that enforced. I usually just run a #4 to avoid any problem. This is for 200 amp and under and the wire sizes I mentioned are based on copper

Comment

I like the idea if it's subject to physical damage otherwise we just strap if to the structure.
      Rob

All responses based on the 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted

Comment

And just be mindful of bonding requirements if using ferrous conduit.

Comment

Working...
        X