Wet vs dry conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is different about THHN vs THWN? I cant believe that the insulation in THHN isnt waterproof. Does moisture cause some sort of degradation over time? Or does it mess with the dielectric properties? Does it only become an issue at higher temperatures (the -2 suffix seems to imply that)? Spent a while googling and couldnt find anything. Just ignore that THHN might not even be available anymore.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What is different about THHN vs THWN? I cant believe that the insulation in THHN isnt waterproof. Does moisture cause some sort of degradation over time? Or does it mess with the dielectric properties? Does it only become an issue at higher temperatures (the -2 suffix seems to imply that)? Spent a while googling and couldnt find anything. Just ignore that THHN might not even be available anymore.

The NEC itself gives you information about insulation characteristics, so that's a good starting point. Keep in mind that insulation, like electrical equipment and even the code, has evolved over the years; we didn't just start in the past 10 years. Nobody would want a high-leg delta service today, but it was part of the past because it was a simple way to add a small 3ph capacity to an existing 1ph service, which is actually where it came from.

Most modern wire is dual-rated as THHN/THWN or THWN-2 these days. THHN has two H's for greater heat levels, but no W, so it's not rated for wet use, but might survive it. THWN has the W for wet use, but only one H. A -2 suffix means the wet temperature rating (usually lower) is equal to the dry rating. Check out Art. 310 and websites like Southwire's for a lot of info.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
There is technically a difference in the formula for the PVC used to insulate the conductors. The THWN is an evolution of the original THHN that is less “hygroscopic” meaning it is going to allow less moisture to track through it. But in reality nobody is selling the “regular” version THHN any longer as stand-alone wire. It’s all dual rated now. The only place regular THHN is really still used is inside of NM cable, because NM is not rated for wet use anyway.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
So moisture can actually weep thru the THHN insulation over time? Interesting.

I wouldn’t call it “weep through”, but yes, it can be absorbed by standard THHN. But again, that straight THHN only exists as the conductors inside of NM cable now. For the past 40 years or so that I know of, wire sold commonly as THHN is actually THHN/THWN and in the last 20 years, with the -2 added.

Status
Not open for further replies.