Largest 230 volt motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
The UL chart goes up to 500 HP. Can't say I have ever seen a 240V motor that big though. I think they generally stop at about 100 HP in most manufacturer's lines but I suppose you could get whatever you want if you wanted to pay for it.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Don't see anything specifically saying the 800HP allows 230 volts.

I don’t think it does, that’s just a generalized flyer on their motor range, not specifics.

I’ve seen 150 & 200HP 230V 3 phase motors in boneyards, but not in catalogs. 200HP would be around 500AFLC, so you would need a 600A service just for that one motor. Most utilities will not give you a 230V service that large any more. That’s likely why volume mfrs like Baldor won’t catalog them; they won’t sell.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I don’t think it does, that’s just a generalized flyer on their motor range, not specifics.

I’ve seen 150 & 200HP 230V 3 phase motors in boneyards, but not in catalogs. 200HP would be around 500AFLC, so you would need a 600A service just for that one motor. Most utilities will not give you a 230V service that large any more. That’s likely why volume mfrs like Baldor won’t catalog them; they won’t sell.

Makes sense.

Is 100HP the largest you've seen in catalogs? Is there a modern motor I can buy brand new over 100HP that you may know of?

FLC charts seem to stop at 250HP:

https://jingweizhu.weebly.com/uploads/1/3/5/4/13548262/hp-volts-fla_chart_v206.pdf

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
https://www.tecowestinghouse.ca/wp-c...2018_05_01.pdf

let me do this...

page 20.
Hard to believe there is that much demand for one though...

:eek::eek: That has to be a column error... 800HP at 230 volts... 1,866amps... can't think of an application that would call for that. But then again I haven't seen it all.

FWIW, page 18: "Number of Leads 230/460V: 9 Leads 1-5HP; 12 Leads 7.5-125HP; 6 Leads 150 and Above"

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
There is a lot of misinformation and sloppy web pages about this issue out there. For example:

https://motorsandcontrol.com/baldor-...n-proof-motor/

Appears to say this is a 230/460V motor rated 250HP. But if you download the product data sheet form Baldor, it says is in 460V only.

I found the same situation with Marathon; suppliers indicated they had a 250HP 230/460V available, but checking the part number with marathon showed as 460V only.

One supplier indicated they had a 500HP 230/460V motor, but when you click on it, it was 50HP.

Weg seems to actually have one though: (Link)
584A FLC at 230V (646A @208V!).
So at 230V that's 2 x 4/0 per phase, so 6 x 4/0 cables to try to make up in that peckerhead, or 1 x 600kCMIL per phase. No thank you... that's a knucklebuster for sure.

retirede

When I was working at an industrial equipment manufacturer many moons ago, 200 & 230 V offerings stopped at 100 HP. Anything above that was special order. I believe that coincided with the standard offerings from our motor suppliers (GE & Toshiba at the time).

Status
Not open for further replies.