Helix Style Anchor Rod for Meter Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Hello, I installed a Over head service, Customer owned Pole Yesterday. The Power Company said It should be anchored before the heavy rains come in my area. So I called the SH for Helix Syle Anchor Rods and was hoping they new what all was needed but they don't. I have only installed one of these about 7 years ago. My question is What requirements for the anchor at the top of the pole, and were to find them.
The SH only has Insulated anchors and bolt through anchors non insulated. though there a week out and the rains coming soon. Will a large Eye hole wood bolt work for this, I don't see why not
Thanks in advance for any help you guys give me

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Hello, I installed a Over head service, Customer owned Pole Yesterday. The Power Company said It should be anchored before the heavy rains come in my area. So I called the SH for Helix Syle Anchor Rods and was hoping they new what all was needed but they don't. I have only installed one of these about 7 years ago. My question is What requirements for the anchor at the top of the pole, and were to find them.
The SH only has Insulated anchors and bolt through anchors non insulated. though there a week out and the rains coming soon. Will a large Eye hole wood bolt work for this, I don't see why not
Thanks in advance for any help you guys give me

An eyebolt only is too much of a bending radius on your guy wire. You need a thimble eye and a three bolt clamp, or even better, a preform for the guy wire.

hey, ask the POCO if you can go through their trash.
We throw this stuff away almost daily from changeouts.
Its cheaper than repurposing it.

how you going to screw the helix anchor down?
Why not a bust anchor?

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
The lineman told me I could screw the helix down with just a crowbar until it reaches its point. I’ll look into the bus anchor that seems much more sturdier and thank you for the idea of the power company

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Attachments

• images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTXKAcce0HzJw8IIBfm1TR8mX5xRD40f9lV572gr0Cd0YiHig-i.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTXKAcce0HzJw8IIBfm1TR8mX5xRD40f9lV572gr0Cd0YiHig-i.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 0

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician

Attachments

• 36B1D795-4EE5-4AD7-986A-6A6FD48206C1.jpeg
    36B1D795-4EE5-4AD7-986A-6A6FD48206C1.jpeg
    6.9 KB · Views: 0

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician

Attachments

• F73F27FF-B463-4BFF-B546-B94EFE3AEF9F.jpeg
    F73F27FF-B463-4BFF-B546-B94EFE3AEF9F.jpeg
    6.1 KB · Views: 1

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Thanks a lot guy. I just got of the phone with the POCO I asked them what they would like to see if they were doing it. They told me many ways to anchor. She told me most use a 5 gallon bucket with concrete in the ground... I told he I was thinking she was happy. She also told me an eye bolt works. I am glad I asked you guys. Yours looks and feels professional. Thanks

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
https://www.comstarsupply.com/aerial...-hardware.html

You can't expect your supply house to stock pole line materials beyond bolts and nuts to attach services to buildings. You seem to be overlooking a lot of other materials- like what cable (strand) to use, how to attach it and how to tension it.

Generally you would use a guy hook/rams head on the pole with a 5/8" bolt, nut and washer through the pole. You would use 1/4" strand attached to that with a strandvise down to the ground. Then another strandvise to attach it to your anchor. You tension it with a come-along and a grip like this: https://www.fwlsp.com/product/1820/hgbs-grips

AC/DC said:
The lineman told me I could screw the helix down with just a crowbar until it reaches its point. I’ll look into the bus anchor that seems much more sturdier and thank you for the idea of the power company

As for your anchor, yeah maybe you can screw it into the soil if you are at the beach. Normally they set those with the auger drive on the auger truck that they set the poles with. A bust anchor would probably be a better choice.

-Hal

Last edited:

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
The SH does have everything beside that Klein parallel jaw grip, thank you for the link. I was just wondering about the top anchor. I do live at the beach though it’s all roots right there so I will see when I get the items.

Last edited:

11bgrunt

Pragmatist
Occupation
Electric Utility Reliability Coordinator
https://www.comstarsupply.com/aerial...-hardware.html

You can't expect your supply house to stock pole line materials beyond bolts and nuts to attach services to buildings. You seem to be overlooking a lot of other materials- like what cable (strand) to use, how to attach it and how to tension it.

Generally you would use a guy hook/rams head on the pole with a 5/8" bolt, nut and washer through the pole. You would use 1/4" strand attached to that with a strandvise down to the ground. Then another strandvise to attach it to your anchor. You tension it with a come-along and a grip like this: https://www.fwlsp.com/product/1820/hgbs-grips

As for your anchor, yeah maybe you can screw it into the soil if you are at the beach. Normally they set those with the auger drive on the auger truck that they set the poles with. A bust anchor would probably be a better choice.

-Hal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MRo...ature=youtu.be
This is a common method when a digger truck is not available or we have no truck access. This is a single helix, 6' X 5/8" anchor rod. Probably rated 6-10K depending on soil. More than any utility should require for a meter pole.
The Stihl used to be available at the rent center. I owned the attachment that fit over the rod eye. Today I think General brand augers are used. Cable and telecom installers use these drivers often because they don't have many diggers available.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I think they call those post hole augers arm breakers or something like that. I hope there is a dead man's switch and a couple of 250lb guys to operate it. But, yeah, it's a good option.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.