Garage circuit conduit requirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Val Thorpe

Does anyone know what year the NEC code changed for requiring the garage circuit wires to be in conduit INSIDE the house? I think it was in 2006-2007? I've got a garage built, permitted, and inspected in 2000 with the circuit in rigid conduit everywhere EXCEPT in the joist bay of the basement ceiling. It's in conduit outside, thru the foundation and into the panel, just not in the ceiling.

Mod Note: I am tentatively approving this post since it is an informational question and not DIY in any sense.

Last edited by a moderator:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Where it is not in conduit, in the basement joist bay, I assume that the wiring is NM ("Romex" to people who do not care about trademark usage).
I am not sure I know of any such rule, other than the general rule about use of NM in an exposed ceiling space crossing a line of joists, whether it is a garage circuit or not.
Possibly a local amendment?

Val Thorpe

Where it is not in conduit, in the basement joist bay, I assume that the wiring is NM ("Romex" to people who do not care about trademark usage).
I am not sure I know of any such rule, other than the general rule about use of NM in an exposed ceiling space crossing a line of joists, whether it is a garage circuit or not.
Possibly a local amendment?

It's the proper sized wire, and type (3 separate wires for 100 amps) it comes into the house in conduit and goes up the foundation wall in conduit. Then the conduit ends up in the ceiling of the basement. The wires go from there about 20 feet then enter conduit down to the panel. I "think" this was approved code in 2000 and the code changed in 2006 or 2007 for the wires to continuously be encased in conduit. Just looking for confirmation

Awg-Dawg

It's the proper sized wire, and type (3 separate wires for 100 amps) it comes into the house in conduit and goes up the foundation wall in conduit. Then the conduit ends up in the ceiling of the basement. The wires go from there about 20 feet then enter conduit down to the panel. I "think" this was approved code in 2000 and the code changed in 2006 or 2007 for the wires to continuously be encased in conduit. Just looking for confirmation

I doubt open conductors were code compliant in 2000.
There was a code change around 2005 to require an EGC to an out building (the raceway would have been compliant)
The encased conduit is for service entrance conduits (if it applied)

It Sounds like there might be a couple requirements being intermingled maybe?

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
My basement has a short piece of conduit from the light switch up to the joists... I'm assuming it's there for protection. Maybe the local code requires conduit for protection up and down the garage wall, but the ceiling joists are too high to be damaged...

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
My basement has a short piece of conduit from the light switch up to the joists... I'm assuming it's there for protection. Maybe the local code requires conduit for protection up and down the garage wall, but the ceiling joists are too high to be damaged...

But the conductors are NM, yes? The OP stated open free conductors, such as THHN or THHW-2. With the exception of a few types like PV wire, RHH, and extended tray cable, open conductors in Chapter 3 require a raceway.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Val, a cable is permitted to cross the ceiling without a conduit; individual conductors are not.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Val, are the wires that you see not in conduit a cable (wires inside a jacket) or are there 3 or 4 individual conductors run exposed.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
But the conductors are NM, yes? The OP stated open free conductors, such as THHN or THHW-2. With the exception of a few types like PV wire, RHH, and extended tray cable, open conductors in Chapter 3 require a raceway.

ooops! Didn't read the post #3 closely enough! That changes the rules!!

Status
Not open for further replies.