Secondary half wave rectification

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
In over simplified terms, is this because the core can no longer hold any more magnetic field, and as a result it can't push back (counter) the extra field from the winding? Is that extra field in the winding, or lack there of in the core, proportional to the current?

Do the EMFs around a transformer go up during saturation? Is it from the core or wingdings?
Stray magnetic fields around a transformer will go up during saturation, only because the primary current will go up and the magnetic field from the coll will spread out more, looking more like an air core winding, instead of being confined to the core region.
And yes, the back EMF from the increased current in the winding will be lower than it would be with an unsaturated core because a given increase in current will produce a smaller increase in magnetic field flux and hence a lower counter EMF. The worst, limiting, case will be as if the primary winding were air core only with a corresponding reduction in magnetizing impedance.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Stray magnetic fields around a transformer will go up during saturation, only because the primary current will go up and the magnetic field from the coll will spread out more, looking more like an air core winding, instead of being confined to the core region.
And yes, the back EMF from the increased current in the winding will be lower than it would be with an unsaturated core because a given increase in current will produce a smaller increase in magnetic field flux and hence a lower counter EMF. The worst, limiting, case will be as if the primary winding were air core only with a corresponding reduction in magnetizing impedance.

Good explanation. I'll digest and see if I can ask more.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
191018-1010 EDT

mbrooke:

You created a hypothesis in your first post. Design some experiments and go play.

Have you run any experiments?

rlundsrud ask a good question. You night define your circuit more clearly for us to know where you are headed with your original question.

In post #21 I suggested two experiments.

I don't want to sound disingenuous so I will be honest- I'm at home and don't have this setup in front of me. And even if I did, can't do much tinkering with it.

In the end a full wave bride rectifier and capacitor will be employed- but I am still curious from a theoretical perspective none the less.

I know diodes are used in hair dryers and other heating appliances that will half wave 1,500 watts worth of heating load so it makes me even more curious if, perhaps, its not as bad as I assumed.

gar

Occupation
EE
191023-2007 EDT

mbrooke:

If you are home bound and don't have anything to work with, then it is difficult do experiments on non-linear circuits, even theoretically.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
191023-2007 EDT

mbrooke:

If you are home bound and don't have anything to work with, then it is difficult do experiments on non-linear circuits, even theoretically.

Home bound right now, its after 6 here :D

Got anything in the garage? I can't find any diodes in mine without having to solder one out a functioning circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.