Electrical box tie up

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnbob

I noticed today that one of our guys were tying up some NM switch boxes, and wrapping the switch leg around the hot 6-8 times pretty tightly. I understand they were trying to keep the pairs together, but wondering if this may cause problems?

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I usually do the same. It's a good method to identify which conductors go to each device. For instance, wrapping the common around the travelers for a 3-way and SP switches twisted together like he does, especially if there are multiple devices in one box. But never that tightly and never one twisted around the other. I have no idea where that came from, it could only be a PITA to make changes if necessary.

-Hal

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I twist certain pairs of conductors together as a means to identify what there purpose is for, although not excessively tight. For example, I’ll twist travelers together, line wires for gfci receptacles, and wherever I may have something special to identify at rough-in so there’s no thinking about it when it comes to installing devices at finish.

480sparky

SP switch: Switch leg goes around the hot supply. 3-ways: Common goes around the travelers. 4-ways: Common pairs are twisted together. Line-Load GFCI: Loads are stripped.

Twisting: Only two wraps is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.