Exhaust fans...hospitals / industrial plants overload protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny89

Today's question...

Why do I keep seeing motors typically exhaust fans in hospitals and industrial plants that are fed by a single pole 20 amp breaker but there is no fuse or overload protection for the motor.

What I know.

Ground fault and short circuit protection is typically done by the breaker size
And overload protection is supposed to be separate
Typically with rk5 fuses...a thermistor or overload heaters on a contactor.

Look at this picture. Nameplate is included.
It's fed by a 20amp single pole breaker and no overload protection. Why do I keep seeing this as if it's a typical install and no one cares about motor overload protection.

Best regards,
Danny Stump

f4c816a91964ec3cb565877dfa93ab79.jpg
56a9a40bf1dc514458d5fa029717a3be.jpg

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

MrJLH

I have dealt with this similarly before. The organization I worked for was too cheap to upgrade the electrical distribution and infrastructure, as it was cheaper to just run the motor until it burns out.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Usually single phase fan motors like that are thermally protected. The control panel only has contactors, not starters so the installer didn't notice. That's the first one that I have ever seen that it is 277. Normally 208 or 240.

-Hal

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Multiple possibilities:

The motor COULD be thermally protected, although the nameplate is SUPPOSED to tell you that so that someone looking at it will know. I see no indication of it on that nameplate, but it might be that as part of the listed assembly by the fan mfr, that was in the original instructions, or just sloppiness on the part of the fan mfr.

That is not the actual motor nameplate, it is the FAN ASSEMBLY nameplate which has motor info on it, but the ACTUAL nameplate attached to the motor itself will say it is thermally Protected (or just "TP").

That toggle switch might be a manual motor starter with a heater element, you can't tell from looking at it on the outside. If it isn't, it MAY have been when originally installed, and someone subsequently replaced it with a plain toggle switch, which would have been a violation.

Status
Not open for further replies.