Circuit Grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Pash

6 circuits, all 20 amp and 12 awg conductors, leaving the main panel in a single conduit going to various parts of a house. Can I tie all the grounds together using a wire not and take one ground wire size 12 awg back to the panel as the grounding for those circuits. Is this acceptable and if so is it recommended???

Attachments

• 20191017_111121.jpg
    20191017_111121.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 0

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Your profile says you are an inspector. Electrical inspector? I don't mean to be harsh but this is not a question that would be expected. Have you researched this?
Also, do you see any issue with 12 CCC in the same raceway?

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Your profile says you are an inspector. Electrical inspector? I don't mean to be harsh but this is not a question that would be expected. Have you researched this?
Also, do you see any issue with 12 CCC in the same raceway?

His profile says he's in Nevis, which is part of the Federation of Saint Kitts and Nevis in the Caribbean. British rules likely apply, if that's likely to make a difference.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
. . . do you see any issue with 12 CCC in the same raceway?
Let me add to that. I no longer keep a copy of the British Standards Institute rules on electrical installation. I don't even remember which BSI applies to electrical work. But for US applications, the National Electrical Code requires a derating of 50% for having 12 current-carrying conductors in the same conduit. You can start that derating at the conductor's insulation rating. So for #12 THHN conductors, you start at 30 amps, derate by 50%, and conclude that the conductors are only good for 15 amps. Therefore, you cannot protect them with a 20 amp breaker.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The applicable article section for the single EGC is 250.122(C)

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.