Cable Strippers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim1959

What have you found to be most effective for stripping large copper conductors? I just ordered a couple of Greenlee G2090 strippers, but they don't seem to have great reviews.

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I used to use a klein banana blade style folding knife and a sharping stone to keep the edge for decades,they were reliable.
Once I misplaced it now I just use the razor knife it works great as well.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA 21 Hours from Winged Horses wi
Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Engineer
Unfortunately our safety department won't even allow the use of retractable razor knifes to strip wire.

Have they found a solution? I love people who pronounce how not to do stuff without knowing how to do it another way.:rant:

Not saying a razor knife is safe, far from it......

I too like the Klein "linoleum" knife, but usually use the razor knife.

Maybe get the safety folks to buy chain-mail gloves when a razor knife is needed. ;)

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Mesh-Hand-Glove/dp/B000NNT2GW

paulengr

Unfortunately our safety department won't even allow the use of retractable razor knifes to strip wire.

Does not matter. Insulation thickness is not consistent enough and many cables are extruded in a way where thickness varies. There is no better device. However cut resistant level 3 gloves prevent cuts. If you try to use one of the supposed strippers and you nick the conductors then the installation fails.

This is where you are a qualified worker, a professional. So you refuse to do work that violates state law. Call state department of labor. Either the plant stays down until safety manager comes up with a way it can be done safely to Code (state law) or the plant stays down. If you are fired you will be paid back pay and state goes after company:

As a contractor we’ve seen this before. We cancel the job.

I used to have a whole drawer of knife alternatives. Ripley Tools makes a lot. Really hard insulation like URD works but not the common ones.

paulengr

Does not matter. Insulation thickness is not consistent enough and many cables are extruded in a way where thickness varies. There is no better device. However cut resistant level 3 gloves prevent cuts. If you try to use one of the supposed strippers and you nick the conductors then the installation fails.

This is where you are a qualified worker, a professional. So you refuse to do work that violates state law. Call state department of labor. Either the plant stays down until safety manager comes up with a way it can be done safely to Code (state law) or the plant stays down. If you are fired you will be paid back pay and state goes after company:

As a contractor we’ve seen this before. We cancel the job.

I used to have a whole drawer of knife alternatives. Ripley Tools makes a lot. Really hard insulation like URD works but not the common ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kwired

Electron manager
Have they found a solution? I love people who pronounce how not to do stuff without knowing how to do it another way.:rant:

Not saying a razor knife is safe, far from it......

I too like the Klein "linoleum" knife, but usually use the razor knife.

Maybe get the safety folks to buy chain-mail gloves when a razor knife is needed. ;)

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Mesh-Hand-Glove/dp/B000NNT2GW
I was going to suggest those gloves.

They use them in meat packing houses.

Status
Not open for further replies.