Panel swap and isolated neutral issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfrhodes

I have a curious situation I could use some ideas on. I recently installed a new 200A meter combo panel (square D 2040M200S) for a homeowner who still has a 60A fused service from the 1940’s. It was/is a parallel install where I temporarily backfed the new panel through a 60A breaker while the homeowner arranged the cutover with the poco. I hadn’t heard from him in several weeks and now he tells me the 60A service is working fine and doesn’t want to go through with the service upgrade.

The problem I have with that plan is the 2040M200S I put in does not have a bonding screw or other method to isolate the neutral and to do so would void warranty/UL, etc. Since I’m coming off the fuse box which is essentially a main disconnect the new panel is of course a sub. At this point he’s not going to pay for any additional work so I need some sort of reasonable way to resolve this that is still save. I may be able to change out the guts with a main lug. Other options like ‘walk away’ or ‘repo the panel’ or ‘hot bypass the fuse box’ don’t sound reasonable to me. Anyone have any tricks that might work in this scenario?

Thanks, Dave

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
He wanted a service upgrade and went back on the deal after you ordered and installed the equipment. You need to make the job right. He (the home owner) needs to pay for any and all changes you have to make.

jksmith82

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I would very likely go talk to local code enforcement. Most will work with you to solve a problem. If there is an unsafe situation, a letter from them may be be all if takes. I have personally done this before. If nothing else it shows you tried to correct the issue. Keep a paper trail.

Jim

dfrhodes

I would very likely go talk to local code enforcement. Most will work with you to solve a problem. If there is an unsafe situation, a letter from them may be be all if takes. I have personally done this before. If nothing else it shows you tried to correct the issue. Keep a paper trail.

Jim

yes, its looking like i'll have to do that. was hoping for a quick technical solution but out of ideas at this point. there is a permit..so the cost to the homeowner is trivial in my opinion, compared to what he spent already. can't believe this is happening.

thanks everyone

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
YOU should have arranged for the POCO cutover. And did you get a permit and inspection? Leaving it temped like that for that long and no application for a cutover should cause the inspector to notify the POCO to remove power.

-Hal

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I would have to agree with some here.
Talk to local code enforcement. It’s a good thing you have a permit, that will make your conversation with them much easier. Always good to have those guys on your side.
basides, your looking for a fix that still has to be inspected, and voids the listing.

on a side note, you should have had the work lined up with the inspections dept and the POCO at the start.
unfortunately it gets messy from this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.