Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Work Box for 5 lb Fixture

Just a simple product question...

Is anyone aware of a relatively cheap "old work" box for use in between ceiling joists that is NOT a full on fan/fixture support box (e.g. Raco #936)?? Just trying to support a 5 lb. fixture without having to (1) spend $15+ on the box and/or (2) cut the ceiling.

Thanks

But won't the homeowner look at that nice lamp location and say, "Gee-- I'll bet that would look better if it were a fan-light!"? A little spackle, and the box'll hold a ton!

I think there are some fan boxes that are designed to snake up through the hole for the box and screw into the joists without a lot of ceiling repairs! I remember one that had/has a hex rod that you turn to expand the ends into the joists. I think Arlington makes one...

Comment

Old work round boxes are not designed for light fixtures. You need to use a fan style bar box that goes between the joist unless you get lucky and hit a ceiling joist.
      They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
      She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
      I can't help it if I'm lucky

Comment

Originally posted by Jerramundi View Post
        Just a simple product question...

Is anyone aware of a relatively cheap "old work" box for use in between ceiling joists that is NOT a full on fan/fixture support box (e.g. Raco #936)?? Just trying to support a 5 lb. fixture without having to (1) spend $15+ on the box and/or (2) cut the ceiling.

Thanks
        Still probably overkill for what you want but it's $9.98:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerci...-205383178-_-N

Comment

Originally posted by synchro View Post

Still probably overkill for what you want but it's $9.98:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerci...-205383178-_-N
          Looks like the one from Arlington...

Comment

These are listed for fixture support up to 20 pounds and less than $4.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Slater-O...8WAC/304234992
            Rob

All responses based on the 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted

Comment

Originally posted by infinity View Post
              These are listed for fixture support up to 20 pounds and less than $4.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Slater-O...8WAC/304234992

What's the weight rating of the drywall it's hanging from??

Comment

Rob there must be a caveat to the 20 lbs as there is no way that is rated 20 lbs on sheetrock. Around here the only thing we can use an old work box on is as a jb or to hang a smoke detector
                They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
                She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
                I can't help it if I'm lucky

Comment

This is the Raco 936 that the OP mentioned in his original post that he didn't want to use, for all of you who said 'Hey I know, use this!"

https://www.hubbell.com/raco/en/Prod.../936/p/1670452

Same thing, different manufacturers.

I actually don't see what the problem is with using any of those. They install through the 4" diameter hole so no patching. You can do chin-ups off them so you are safe with supporting any fixture. That's all I ever used.

I wouldn't use a cut-in or old work box for anything except a smoke alarm.

-Hal

Comment

I have used them several times for light weight pendant lights over peninsulas where they never know where they want them until after the cabinets are installed. Says right on it listed for 20# fixture support (maybe that's on a wall). Not sure what the limitations are but I would not hesitate to use it on a 5# fixture.
                    Rob

Comment

When I have jobs that require ceiling boxes, I make every hole, make a list of box types, then go shopping.

You never know whether you're under a joist, next to a joist, or between joists until you make your holes.
                      Master Electrician
                      Electrical Contractor
                      Richmond, VA

Comment

Originally posted by LarryFine View Post
                        You never know whether you're under a joist, next to a joist, or between joists until you make your holes.
                        Stud finders help a lot.

The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

Comment

Rob, where are you getting the 20lb rating? The UL limit of an old work box is 6lbs.

On the Legrand web site FAQ states the following:
                          The C118WAC is not rated for Luminaire support. It is Suitable for in-ceiling use for supporting weights up to up to 6 lbs.
                          Curt Swartz
                          Electrical Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by curt swartz View Post
                            Rob, where are you getting the 20lb rating? The UL limit of an old work box is 6lbs.

On the Legrand web site FAQ states the following:
                            The C118WAC is not rated for Luminaire support. It is Suitable for in-ceiling use for supporting weights up to up to 6 lbs.
                            Look at the photo on post #6, it clearly states inside the box that it's rated for fixture support up to 20 pounds.
                            Rob

Comment

Originally posted by infinity View Post

Look at the photo on post #6, it clearly states inside the box that it's rated for fixture support up to 20 pounds.
                              I saw that, but like some other old work boxes I assumed the rating was when the old work box was screwed and mounted into OSB or plywood with the predrilled holes.

Comment

Working...
                              X