Best method for wire runs in new custom home

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeNorm

Hello,
I have a new custom home to wire up, it has a crawlspace and and open web trusses above ceiling plane so tons of room and no drilling if i'm running wires up there. My question is about the best method for running the wiring when you have a lot of pretty good options. I'm not as concerned about speed as providing the best product possible when taking safety and cleanliness of work into account. Would you run home runs through the crawl or in the ceiling? Note the ceiling will not be accessible after drywall goes in? Should I minimize drilling in the studs and drop up or down as quick as possible? Thanks

jusme123

Occupation
JW
OSHA defines a confined space as being made up of 3 main parts: 1) being large enough for an employee to enter and perform work; 2) has limited or restricted means for entry or exit; and 3) is not designed for continuous occupancy.

I actually prefer drilling and pulling wires thru holes most of the time. I think that is faster than stapling. I hate stapling. There are of course some alternatives to stapling like stackers and bridal rings, but most of the time I find holes quickest and neatest. Note you don't want to drill thru truss members.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
Top plate or bottom plate for the home run. Lateral drilling for distribution.

KnightPower

If running parallel for long runs I would cut several blocks and install prior to wire pulls. I have used stackers, bridal rings and staples with zipties. Beats traditional stapling in speed and aesthetics but there will still be plenty of that.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
This is what I think about when I wire a home. First I look at the distance of the runs. This usually negates going overhead for the most part. Second, I look at the impact my wire will have on the insulation. Normally running thru the studs is easy if you work alone but it does tend to mess up the insulation install. Third is under the house in the crawl. I prefer that but wiring it alone it is a bit harder.

On a smaller home I have wired everything from underneath working alone. I drill all the holes under the boxes and set up my reel underneath. If you have a good spatial ability you will know what holes go where. I did an entire house like that and only screwed up to runs-- got them in the wrong hole. The thing was I wired the place by myself in a day-- about 1200 sq.ft- not very big.

My opinion, is drill thru the studs if you work alone and go under if you have a helper.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
This is what I think about when I wire a home. First I look at the distance of the runs. This usually negates going overhead for the most part. Second, I look at the impact my wire will have on the insulation. Normally running thru the studs is easy if you work alone but it does tend to mess up the insulation install. Third is under the house in the crawl. I prefer that but wiring it alone it is a bit harder.

On a smaller home I have wired everything from underneath working alone. I drill all the holes under the boxes and set up my reel underneath. If you have a good spatial ability you will know what holes go where. I did an entire house like that and only screwed up to runs-- got them in the wrong hole. The thing was I wired the place by myself in a day-- about 1200 sq.ft- not very big.

My opinion, is drill thru the studs if you work alone and go under if you have a helper.

You go under even on inside walls?

Status
Not open for further replies.