How well do walldogs work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are they strong enough to be a replacement for conical plastic anchors? I bought a box but havent gotten to try them yet i like the idea of having 1 screw capable of doing a variety of tasks. I noticed in hollow block walls plastic anchor dont bite well and toggle bolts are a one time use so i was hoping these things would be a good alternative.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Are they strong enough to be a replacement for conical plastic anchors? I bought a box but havent gotten to try them yet i like the idea of having 1 screw capable of doing a variety of tasks. I noticed in hollow block walls plastic anchor dont bite well and toggle bolts are a one time use so i was hoping these things would be a good alternative.

I think they work great in concrete, cinder block and wood. The box says they work in drywall too but I don't use them for that application.

junkhound

Occupation
EE, power electronics specialty
Have tried walldogs but do not like, too easy to strip out drywall.

Preference is the toggle type with the plastic straps with like zip ties on the toggle, one brand is toggle. Pricey but I got a big box full at a garage sale one so tried them.
Push the toggle thru 3/8 dia hole, pull nylon straps till toggle tight. Thin retainer is outside the wall holds it in place. As strong as pulling a 3 " dia piece of drywall loose, will hold a few hundred pounds used in 5/8 firecode drywall which is all that is in places I work. Re- useable. Concrete use tapcons.

I think they work great in concrete, cinder block and wood. The box says they work in drywall too but I don't use them for that application.

Ok i got a box of em on sale i had hoped theyd do decent in drywall because zip its dont seem to hold well enough and toggle bolts are a pain for mounting boxes. I really just wanted something that would make it where i dont have to find a stud each time i strap a pipe. And i can strap it within 2 feet with something like this.

Have tried walldogs but do not like, too easy to strip out drywall.

Preference is the toggle type with the plastic straps with like zip ties on the toggle, one brand is toggle. Pricey but I got a big box full at a garage sale one so tried them.
Push the toggle thru 3/8 dia hole, pull nylon straps till toggle tight. Thin retainer is outside the wall holds it in place. As strong as pulling a 3 " dia piece of drywall loose, will hold a few hundred pounds used in 5/8 firecode drywall which is all that is in places I work. Re- useable. Concrete use tapcons.

Tapcons are expensive as hell.

kwired

Electron manager
In drywall works great for lightweight items that will not normally have other forces imposed on them. can typically handle more weight in a wall than in a ceiling.

izak

I thought Wall-Dog sounded familiar... I was picturing a screw with strange oversized threads... but i was hoping they werent it..

They were.
They arent worth a flip in sheetrock. I would use zipits or toggles.

In block and concrete, the zinc/lead anchors that look like a plastic anchor work real good.

QUOTE=LarryFine;n2540875]I like these in drywall:

[/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.