5kw shop heater controlled by separate thermostat

Status
Not open for further replies.

sw_ross

All the 5kw shop heaters I'm used to dealing with (Marley/Qmark) have the temperature adjustment on the unit itself. That control allows the fan to run after the unit "thermostat" is satisfied.

The 10kw size I've installed have a contactor that can be controlled by a low voltage t-stat mounted on the wall. The contactor shuts off the heating element but allows the fan to run afterwards until the elements cool down.

Is there an option to set up a 5kw with a remote t-stat (wall-mount) that allows the fan to run afterwards without majorly rewiring the the heater? Maybe install a 2-pole contactor internal to the heater that only cuts out power to the heat elements, allowing the fan to continue to run?

I'm working on a building that has 14-foot sidewalls. It's mostly for storage, but they want a 5kw to keep it in the 45-55 range. Getting up on a ladder to adjust the dial isn't an option.

Thanks

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You will have to access the separate terminals within the unit to effectively duplicate what the internal controls do.

sw_ross

You will have to access the separate terminals within the unit to effectively duplicate what the internal controls do.

Yeah, I'm not really interested in re-wiring a out-of-the-box heater...
do you know of a heater that is already set up for remote t-stat control, like the 10kw's have?

StarCat

Industrial Engineering Tech
Occupation
Imdustrial Engineering Technician - HVACR Electrical and Mechanical Systems
I'd need to see the unit wiring diagram. Typically the fan behavior you are speaking about is controlled by Sequencers or Time Delay relays that are downstream from the T-stat. it could just be a matter of setting a remote thermostat parallel to the internal one, in which case I would no longer use the internal. You would think the OEM would offer remote T-stat package, but maybe not in this convoluted age we are in.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The unit heaters that we use can be ordered with LV controls so you could easily remote the t-stat without rewiring anything. I believe that they're the Q-Mark brand.

sw_ross

The unit heaters that we use can be ordered with LV controls so you could easily remote the t-stat without rewiring anything. I believe that they're the Q-Mark brand.

I just looked at their webpage, it looks like the 5kw can be ordered with the 24v control for t-stat. I'll ask the supply house.

Status
Not open for further replies.