Panel Recommendation 400a+ Residential

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I am kinda lost on this one. New house with no specs and hardly any plans. I think I need something bigger than 400a but my supply houses aren't helping me with anything in that direction.
We don't do a lot of big houses and this one isn't but the electrical is.

So if there is a 450 or 600 amp house panel someone would recommend that won't break the bank that would be great.
I plan on doing 2 or 3 subpanels so I don't need a bunch of breaker spaces outside.

ALSO
I'm trying to figure out the meter panel size for certain to make sure I need more than 400a. I've done some load calculations but I don't have a lot of faith in my capabilities.
It is a 3000sq ft house.

This is where the issues come into play.
2 instant hot water heaters 150a max amperage.
3 kitchens
Split AC units - 9 of them with one 38 min circuit amps for unit outside - they don't seem to draw much at all at the inside units, the specs say min circuit amps is less than 1amp each.
One other split unit for the top floor 36 min circuit amps for other outside unit
Residential elevator
Fire pump
60a hot tub
2 laundry rooms

Owner wants the top floor for his use only when in town. He plans to rent the rest of the house as a beach rental since it is on the beach. Maybe he plans to rent both other two floor separate from each other.

Any help would be appreciated. I plan on going over this with the inspector and probably his boss but I don't want to seem like a total idiot. I'd also like to convince this guy he needs smaller hot water heaters if this is gonna be close or cost me a ton for a bigger panel.

Thank you for your help!

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You need the info required to do a good load calc and involve your power co. You may well end up with CTs at 400a +.

I envision a few exterior main disconnects individually feeding indoor panels. You can get 200a main discos for around $130.

kwired

Electron manager
Sort of mentioned already - if you are scattering panels throughout the house, you need a feeder main ahead of them anyway, make those feeder breakers also be service disconnecting means. 3 200 amp breakers as service disconnecting means is likely going to cost less than installing a single 600 amp main, and then still needing three 200 amp feeder breakers to tap into it anyway. If one or two panels are going to be at the service location then just use main breaker panels for those service disconnecting means and a single 200 amp breaker(s) grouped in same location to supply the remote located panels.

Anything over 400 amps (or even 320) is likely going to have CT metering.

Stebs

What about gas tankless water heaters instead of electric? Service that large might push into demand metering as well if your poco doesn’t already put resi on demand. Poco May even cap resi service to 400a.

Probably you would be doing multiple 200a sets (say 3) to 3 200 amp panels per 230.40 exception #2. As Larry mentioned, maybe just putting discos instead of say two of the panels and putting two subs elsewhere.

For such a high end project, maybe look at using real panelboards instead of load centers.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I've usually seen this done with two 200A panels either though a gutter or double lugged from the meter. I'll bet that two 200A feedthrough panels will be cheaper than a pair of 200A fused discos or enclosed breakers or a single 400A anything.

junkhound

Occupation
EE, power electronics specialty
3000 sq ft. 9 AC units! Something does not compute, even if it is 3 separate living quarters.

I'd suggest the owner revisit some of the loads. Is 4 GPM hot water really required? etc..

Thank you thank you.
I like the idea of the disconnects. I guess I will set an appointment with the power company. Good stuff, and still a bit above my head.
I don't know why he won't do gas water heaters, etc. Insane! I told him he needed gas and we just did power to a gas pool heater next door.

Status
Not open for further replies.