Power Strip in Industrial Equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

drumburg

We have an industrial machine that is going to be utilizing several (3-4) 115Vac devices and were wondering if there was anything against using a UL Listed power strip with a built in circuit breaker for the whole strip. We follow NFPA 79 for building our equipment but I didn't find anything about using purchased power strips for this purpose. It would be mounted permanently and dedicated to the equipment if that makes any difference. I will continue my search while awaiting any feedback, thanks in advance.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
13.3.7 Flexible cords, ac receptacles, ac plugs, appliance couplers,
and power cord sets shall be permitted inside enclosures
for internal wiring and connections between assemblies with
ac power where used in accordance with their listing.

I am not real sure but I think power strips are only UL recognized.

norcal

I am not real sure but I think power strips are only UL recognized.

What value are they if only a UL recognized component of UL listed equipment?

Edit: Looked at a cheapie power strip & it was UL listed. Not a fan of them but do have their place once in a while.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
We have an industrial machine that is going to be utilizing several (3-4) 115Vac devices and were wondering if there was anything against using a UL Listed power strip with a built in circuit breaker for the whole strip. We follow NFPA 79 for building our equipment but I didn't find anything about using purchased power strips for this purpose. It would be mounted permanently and dedicated to the equipment. . .
I suggest going to the UL White Book -- Guide Information for Electrical Equipment..

A "power strip" is more appropriately named a Relocatable Power Tap (XBYS), and the one thing that stands out is that the Relocatable Power Tap is not intended to be permanently secured, nor to be used as a substitute for permanent wiring. A Relocatable Power Tap is to be plugged directly into a permanently installed branch circuit receptacle outlet, not into an extension cord.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
As a device attached to equipment, it would not be part of the premises wiring, so would the NEC apply?

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
As a device attached to equipment, it would not be part of the premises wiring, so would the NEC apply?

Technically if it were INSIDE of a listed control panel, it would not fall under the NEC. But UL follows the same rule (I got nailed by a UL inspector on this very issue once). Now, the OP did not state that this was a UL listed control panel, so that may or may not be an issue. But if 'attached to the machine" and not inside of a control panel, then it would be "premise wiring".

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Google >power distribution unit<. Many of these are rack-mountable between the mounting rails. Others are designed to be installed vertically in racks to power a number of 110v items. Some have 2 sets of outlets to allow cords from devices with 2 power supplies to be on different 'phases.' IIRC the power cords are 240v twist-lock.

Todd0x1

Is this inside a control panel, or external for powering computer, monitor, etc? If inside control panel several manufacturers offer DIN rail mount duplex convenience receptacles. External, look at power distribution units categorized by UL as ITE those can be permanent mounted.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I suggest going to the UL White Book -- Guide Information for Electrical Equipment..

A "power strip" is more appropriately named a Relocatable Power Tap (XBYS), and the one thing that stands out is that the Relocatable Power Tap is not intended to be permanently secured, nor to be used as a substitute for permanent wiring. A Relocatable Power Tap is to be plugged directly into a permanently installed branch circuit receptacle outlet, not into an extension cord.

And I'm sure none of us would ever do any of those things...

stevehayes

Occupation
student
After some digging around I think I found my answer on another post in this forum.

It seems better to use a more permanent mounted 4 gang box than to use a power strip (or power tap).

https://forums.mikeholt.com/forum/active-forums/nec/62718-power-strips-code-violation

I was about to create similar thread, but I've used search instead. And I've found this forum with this post. Thank you, OP. Now I have one problem less. But I still have some. I made some awful mistakes before I'd found this and now I have pumps problem. They're broken and I don't know where to find new pumps for the lower price. I'm short on money because of quarantine. Maybe I will create another thread for this question, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.