Running Rigid Conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

izak

Does anyone have a preference on how to run Rigid Conduit?

How many people out there want it to be only stub 90s, every time, regardless of the situation, versus bending a 90 longer, to make couplings match, or avoid un-neccessary nipples?

I understand how to run pipe, and I know there are alot of instances that a Stub 90 is best, but does anyone here have any 'rules', or ran across someone who did?

I am being accused of 'EMT Bending' on one of my jobs, and its on a rack of pipe that is exposed, and will be on display for the next '100 years', so I insisted that it look good, but there are apparently people who dont see it the way that I do.

Any takers?

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
I use to work for a very large industrial EC. Only used Rigid. They taught be to bend pipe. We matched coupling made sure we had all concentric bends, never used three piece couplings they thought that showed you did not know how to bend pipe. They said we were paid to do a professional job.
I liked it, bending pipes a blast

MAC702

...I am being accused of 'EMT Bending' on one of my jobs, and its on a rack of pipe that is exposed, and will be on display for the next '100 years', so I insisted that it look good, but there are apparently people who dont see it the way that I do....
Who's paying for the time it takes you to make it look better?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Izak, I agree that it looks better when you make it look like you did it that way on purpose.

izak

The reason that I asked the question is that the statement was made: "Stub 90s are the way rigid is supposed to be run"

This is the question that I am asking, not, "can I tell my boss to take a hike"

Who is paying for it? The Usual People, of course..

;)

MAC702

The reason that I asked the question is that the statement was made: "Stub 90s are the way rigid is supposed to be run"

This is the question that I am asking, not, "can I tell my boss to take a hike"

Who is paying for it? The Usual People, of course..

;)

There is no "supposed to" except making it Code compliant or to job specifications.
The is no "usual people" paying for it.

I wasn't trying to start an argument you seem to want.

It's a simple issue. If the boss says "make it Code compliant and able to pull wire through it" than you are doing him a disservice to take extra time to insist it should be pretty unless he agrees.

If you are the contractor then it's YOUR call if you want the job to be aesthetically pleasing because your name will be on it and it will reflect on your business. But you're the one doing the extra work at no additional charge on the price of the contract. Indeed, you can advertise the way you do it as justification for a higher bid, and the job specifier can decide if he wants "good" or "good enough."

Status
Not open for further replies.