517.18 questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADub

Occupation
Estimator/Project Manager
I'm trying to determine if hospital grade receptacles are required in a skilled nursing facility I'm working on. One wing of this building is dedicated to skilled nursing and there are 60 dormitory type units spread over 2 levels, from what I have gathered this is a limited care/assisted living facility where very minor exams will be performed in the skilled nursing wing units. We are wiring the skilled area per 517.13 but my question is whether hospital grade receptacles are required in the skilled nursing units, fwiw these are more living quarters than exam rooms. What's got me most confused is the 517.2 definitions of basic care (category 3) areas, I cannot find receptacle requirements for such a space only general care and critical care (categories 2 & 1). Are there even definitive requirements for a category 3 space? Hoping to gain some insight on this topic, thanks in advance.

ADub

Occupation
Estimator/Project Manager
Nothing? That either means it's a good question or a really dumb one! Maybe to simplify I could just change my question to this- If there are no given requirements for a category 3 space is it safe to assume there are no requirements for a category 3 space? I think the answer is in the question but it just seems strange that they would go through the trouble of defining a category 3 space and then never mention it again.

Devin Hanes

This might help.

NFPA 99 2018 Health Care Facilities Code
1.3.4 Patient Care Spaces.

The health care facility's governing body or its designee shall establish the following areas in accordance with the type of patient care anticipated (see 3.3.136, Patient Care Space):
(1)Category 1 spaces
(2)Category 2 spaces
(3)Category 3 spaces
(4)Category 4 spaces

Chapter 3 Definitions
3.3.72* Health Care Facility's Governing Body

The person or persons who have the overall legal responsibility for the operation of a health care facility.

I believe all NFPAs are available on "Free Access"(NFPA.org).

NFPA 70 2017 Article 517 Part I. General
517.1 Scope.

....The requirements in Parts II and III not only apply to single function buildings but are also intended to be individually applied to their respective forms of occupancy within a multifunction building (e.g., a doctor’s examining room located within a limited care facility would be required to meet the provisions of 517.10).
If your area does not fall under a category which the NEC calls out to use them, then they're are not required there by the NEC. But get something in writing from the "Health Care Facility's Governing Body or it's designee" that establishes the area (Category of space) for the type of care anticipated by them.

Not that you mentioned anything like it but they are also required in 517.61(C)(2).

NFPA 99 2018
Chapter 6 Electrical Systems
6.3.2.2 Receptacles
6.3.2.2..1 Types of Receptacles

(A) Each receptacle shall provide at least one separate grounding terminals capable of maintaining low-contact resistance with its mating plug, despite severe electrical and mechanical use of the receptacle......

(C) All non-locking type, 125-volt, 15- or 20-ampere single, duplex or quadruplex type receptacles, or any combination thereof, located in operating rooms and at patient bed locations in Category 1 spaces shall be listed and identified as hospital grade.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.