210.52(A)(1) Laundry room receptacle placement

Status
Not open for further replies.

shputnik

Occupation
Expert wirenut installer
Is the laundry room considered a habitable room? Do I need to place the receptacles in the room like I would have typical habitable room?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
No, A laundry room is not habitable space however I have seen some authority having jurisdiction's say the room is large so they required more receptacle. In general if the room is truly a laundry room then no additional receptacle outlets are required

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
The 2020 NEC has finally defined habitable

Habitable Room.

A room in a building for living, sleeping, eating, or cooking, but excluding bathrooms, toilet rooms, closets, hallways, storage or utility spaces, and similar areas. (CMP-2)

shputnik

Occupation
Expert wirenut installer
The 2020 NEC has finally defined habitable

The room is ten feet by eighteen feet. It has a dedicated 20 amp plug for the washer.

​​​No other outlets are required per code? Seems odd but from what I'm reading legal?

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
If it is listed as the laundry room on the prints, then that is what it is code-wise. Practically, that's a lot of countertop without power...

retirede

The room is ten feet by eighteen feet. It has a dedicated 20 amp plug for the washer.

​​​No other outlets are required per code? Seems odd but from what I'm reading legal?

Prudent design in this case would dictate additional receptacle outlets, IMO, even if not required.
Chances are, someone will want to plug in an iron in that room eventually.

shputnik

Occupation
Expert wirenut installer
Prudent design in this case would dictate additional receptacle outlets, IMO, even if not required.
Chances are, someone will want to plug in an iron in that room eventually.

I agree. I may add a couple receptacles but I wasn't sure the spacing by code....

I should be fine to feed the other receptacles in that laundry room off of the dedicated 20 amp circuit

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I agree. I may add a couple receptacles but I wasn't sure the spacing by code....

I should be fine to feed the other receptacles in that laundry room off of the dedicated 20 amp circuit

You could but I wouldn't not if the room was that big. I see it as a large room with a washer in it... It is really an authority having jurisdiction call.

Status
Not open for further replies.